Electrical Die grinder 6mm capacity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aden30mm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently been using a dremmel type machine with a 1/8 shaft Tungsten Carbide Burrs. I have been quite impressed with the way its moved stock away from some yew.

Ramping this up I wonder if using a electric straight die grinder with a 6mm shaft tungsten carbide burr would allow for faster stock removal. So the question is have any members of the forum used this medium, or have experience of wood (hardwood) stock removal.

Regards

Aden

Did try briefly using the body of one of the old detachable Bosch routers in that way, but didn't find it very effective. Maybe with practice......
If you are brave, of course, there are the Arbotech blades for an angle grinder, which will take off stock (and probably fingers. toes or other body parts) at a phenomenal rate.

I use a die grinder on metal & they can't half shift stuff with a good cutter but I've never tried it on wood. I think the problem you might have is the cutters clogging. You could try using cutters for aluminium as they are designed not to clog.

Went for it with a cheap straight 6mm die grinder, a Katsu (no load speed of 24,000) for just over £20 plus a set of Tungsten Carbide Burrs (Drillpro).

Pretty impressed with the roughing out of some yew No clogging up of the burrs, fast removal of stock to a point where a rasp works. Even better result with laburnum. One take away, need to have respiratory protection, I use a half mask with a suitable replacement filters.

ED65 speed on mini grinder is NLS 25,000.

All in all I'm pleased with this set up all for less than £35, and the Katsu grinder seem to be a robust unit, but only time will tell.

\I use a katsu with the saburr carbide cutters. Great tool although too fast for the larger 30mm ish dia cylinder type cutters as vibration is crazy.

Just off to hospital for a consultation so can't go into detail but check out 'bonsai carving' on your search engine. Bonsai artists have been doing it for years - usually with Makita die grinders and carbide burrs. I've personally used an Arbortech blade to shape jewellery box lids too - once you get the hang of it it's very easy.

Paul

Back