Electrical Conduit sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been summoned to make some furniture using galvanised conduit (bathroom towel shelves) - have ordered some fittings and pipes; but will need to thread some pipe ends !! the pipe conduit is sold in 20mm 25mm and larger but the dies are in 3/4" 1. 1/2" . Question : which die set do I need for 20 and 25mm conduit. Any help appreciated - Now on the look out for pipe vice, bender set n dies.

fred55":3u90be7q said:
Just been summoned to make some furniture using galvanised conduit (bathroom towel shelves) - have ordered some fittings and pipes; but will need to thread some pipe ends !! the pipe conduit is sold in 20mm 25mm and larger but the dies are in 3/4" 1. 1/2" . Question : which die set do I need for 20 and 25mm conduit. Any help appreciated - Now on the look out for pipe vice, bender set n dies.
Probably better to hire a bender if you can. T and D from here:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/COSDG.html

The die I use to cut threads on 20mm OD conduit is the 20mm x 1.5 die
You can normally get sets for 20 and 25mm on the web for under £30

As usual there's more to it than first appears - I'm not one for hiring so looks like buying a set off ebay or where ever.
Thanks Fred.

Bending steel conduit takes a lot of effort, buy a floor standing one, trying to bend it without a floor frame is nigh on impossible.

fred55":27j9r9rs said:
As usual there's more to it than first appears - I'm not one for hiring so looks like buying a set off ebay or where ever.
Thanks Fred.
I'd buy the die and guide set plus cutting compound from tlc and I'd hire the bender - unless you feel like investing 2 or 300 quid

Can you not buy the pipe threaded? I bought some pipe for pipe clamps and the chap threaded it within the price on a semi automatic machine. He said that half his sales were for furniture projects and was quite happy with a length list to cut pieces to. Bending may be another question.

Thanks for comments; looks like buying a set of threader dies and compound £30 /£40 to complete the job - and don't need a bender, there is a variety of unions: 90 / wall plates/ hooks etc that will screw in. Will post a picture of the bathroom shelves once completed (or the pile of scrap) ?
Fred.

Someone may help - yes got all the gear but no idea keeps ringing in my ears - got the pipes and purchased a theater from toolstation £35 - threaded the pipe but its a larger thread (less threads per inch) ! more like brass water pipe fitments thread, anyone know the thread spacing for metal conduit fittings ? or better who stocks them local around Barnsley

I think you are confusing electrical conduit with galvanised water pipe.
Water pipe is threaded in 3/4" and 1", conduit is threaded in metric 20mm and 25 mm.

Water pipe is much thicker walled and is better for any furniture that is to take weight.

Thanks its been a learning curve - in short this is what i've gleaned ; water pipes normally thicker walled measured in 1/2" 3/4" etc and the cutters have a courser thread and again buy them in 1/2" 3/4" 1" - electrical conduit; metric measure 20mm 25mm and cutters likewise finer thread bought in 20 25mm -- now to see how good Toolstation are at returning good that are not faulty but bought in error. Will be returning at same time as collecting building supplies so not to go against current guide lines.

Regards the bending you could go old school and make a setting block.

Large lump of wood with a slotted hole through to bend the conduit in, bit of a knack to it but will save the cost of a bender.

20200430_190733.jpg

Attachments

• 20200430_190733.jpg
    20200430_190733.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 84
Back