Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charger.jpeg

I guess the portable generator is the future's version of a gas can.

From another forum....

Interesting article on TV last night with regard to cheaper all electric motoring in a decade or so.
The government currently makes about £35,000,000,000 a year from duty on petrol and diesel.
Therefore once we all have to go all electric, with that shortfall in tax revenue having to be made up somehow with so called green taxes or whatever.
So no matter what people may think, that motoring will become cheaper , it most certainly will not.....

Any thoughts?

Cheers James

From another forum....

Interesting article on TV last night with regard to cheaper all electric motoring in a decade or so.
The government currently makes about £35,000,000,000 a year from duty on petrol and diesel.
Therefore once we all have to go all electric, with that shortfall in tax revenue having to be made up somehow with so called green taxes or whatever.
So no matter what people may think, that motoring will become cheaper , it most certainly will not.....

Any thoughts?

Cheers James
Pay by mile, the tech is already going into new cars, just the privacy laws to work around but it won't be long, still I'd rather the money went to our tax pool than the Arabs or the Russians, and I'd prefer to be breathing clean air. We all see paying tax as a bad thing but it's not - if we elect governments that actually support our society. Now where are the plans for that soap box I need to build.

All taxes (I think with the exception of the BBC licence fee) goes into a central Treasury pot. It is then shared out to different government departments depending on a combination or need, political priority, previous promises etc etc.

If the Treasury lose £35bn over the next 10-20 years it seems likely they will try to recover the loss. Options - increase VAT on electricity, increase basic tax rates, mileage charges (possibly based on road/time of day etc), fixed licence fees, etc. Quite possibly a combination of all of them.

Bear in mind that taxes are only partly about raising revenue, but also about changing behaviours - eg: a charge mile mile may reduce road congestion (and new road building) by reducing car usage, but a fixed annual licence fee may increase usage (once you have a vehicle).

Is there going to be enough lithium if everyone goes electric?
Yes. Gordon Giesige of “the limiting factor” has a series on YouTube called “lithium mine to battery line” that talks about the real short term bottlenecks but also the med/long term solutions. His is some of the best researched but accessible language reporting and I’d thoroughly recommend it for anyone with even a passing interest. He’s also got one of the most relaxing voices I’ve ever heard!

This is turning into a very interesting discussion.

What recently totally changed my perception of 'leccy cars from "Pah, they'll never be as good as dino fuel burners in any way" to "Now you have my attention" was the Tesla Model S (supped-up mind!), doing 0 - 60 in under three seconds. Of course, it would be absolutely ludicrous on UK roads to be going from a standstill to that speed in such a short space of time but it made me realise that they're actually getting somewhere with the tech now, plus the fact you'll get 300 miles out of it.

The Porsche Taycan on Top Gear the other night was quite something too.

It's definitely going to be something to consider in the near future for myself I think since I rarely leave a twenty-mile radius of home :lol:.
It’s a no brainier, says a Model S owner but even my old leaf was amazingly punchy. The thing you don’t expect until you drive in one is the torque is flat, as much poke at 1 as 30 as 60… it’s a weird but wonderful sensation. Seriously swap today. The used prices are great and there’s a huge range, you won’t look back. P.S, if you’ve not followed the market, Pre Feb 2017 Teslas had free fast charging for life. Tesla claws it back from any they px, but lots still out there and if you are into your tech look for a “unicorn” like mine. Between Sept 2016 and Jan 17 they had introduced the upgraded self driving hardware but still had the free charging on. If Tesla ever pull off actual self driving they will be real collectables, but even now the “autopilot” is an very fun tech to play with at the best of current driver assist tech and improving all the time.

PS. Anyone thinking of buying an EV, don't spend a dime on self drive technology as an extra. Mine has this but it is years away from being A to B automatic navigation. The lane change software basically is unusable currently, so auto drive is entirely limited by the speed of the vehicle in front. Also auto braking etc is poorly developed at present.
I do take your point for the “enhanced autopilot” setting but I got a too good to miss upgrade price to FSD and even without the beta, “Navigate on Autopilot” has been the game changer. Just did trip to Budapest and it was magic. It did all the motorway transfers autonomously and the overall driving experience was much more relaxing than driving myself. Just enough babysitting it to keep me interested/alert. It’s a loooooooong way from “Self driving” tho ;-)

How would the vehicle cope in the event of adverse weather? eg. sub zero temperatures with freezing fog where most of the vehicles ancillaries would be required. Surely these situations, although rare will impact on driving range considerably.

Nigel.
Highest EV use country is Norway. Yes you are right it does impact, about 20% if the car is at ambient temp. The usual way it’s dealt with is that you “precondition” your car. You tell it, programmed or via the app, what time you want to leave and it warms the car and batteries while plugged in so you walk out to a warm car with a clear windscreen and range near normal.

Latest posts

Back