Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are missing the crux, by burning dino :poop: just because you are too lazy to get a jumper, you are in all likelyhood actually killing your grandkids.
That is a UK-centric view I think. Getting an extra jumper may be a possible solution most of the time in the UK. It is not the case in the winter in my climate. At the other extreme someone in a very hot climate may have a justifiable need to spend some of their available battery power on air conditioning. Cars are typically made for global markets, so the same car has to be able to cope anywhere from Arizona to the Arctic and currently (excuse the pun) that means range takes a big hit in the more extreme conditions.

Exactly the reply I would expect from you. But rest assured @Rorschach I, even as a non-believer, pray 🙏to the multiverse for your continued serenity and sterility ;)

@Just4Fun not arguing against having a heater or ac, I am pointing out the junkie like addiction to burning everything to the point of even adding on a fossil fuel burning device on an eco machine just "because that is what I've done for the the last 150 years" and the I can't be arssedness of that attitude as it means people would have to accept Mea Culpa. Still what do I care, I have 40 years max left and no protazoa running around in shorts in the game. Besides those last few years wont all be rat frikese and toe cheese burgers, I'll probably have a few MREs still stashed away somewhere :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Exactly the reply I would expect from you. But rest assured @Rorschach I, even as a non-believer, pray 🙏to the multiverse for your continued serenity and sterility ;)

@Just4Fun not arguing against having a heater or ac, I am pointing out the junkie like addiction to burning everything to the point of even adding on a fossil fuel burning device on an eco machine just "because that is what I've done for the the last 150 years" and the I can't be arssedness of that attitude as it means people would have to accept Mea Culpa. Still what do I care, I have 40 years max left and no protazoa running around in shorts in the game. Besides those last few years wont all be rat frikese and toe cheese burgers, I'll probably have a few MREs still stashed away somewhere :ROFLMAO:

I thought depopulation was the answer? Not having children is the most powerful thing anyone can do to reduce their carbon emissions short of killing themselves.
I don't think I'll pass onto the missus that you are praying for her sterility.

A friend has a hybrid which costs not very much to charge via a 13amp plug. Most of their trips are local so have gone weeks on leccy only, even with something like a 45 mile range. Longer trips it uses a perfectly suitable ICE. The purchase cost would be huge but for him it works well.

One letter to I think Honest John described someone buying a second hand Ev, maybe a Leaf. The range was ok to start but got worse and became marginal. He was quoted something like £15K for a new battery to which he thought no way I'll tolerate it. But as it got worse and then just too little range to be useable for him after a only a few more months he went back and said ok I'll pay your £15K. Dealer said sorry, no longer made.

You are missing the crux, by burning dino :poop: just because you are too lazy to get a jumper, you are in all likelyhood actually killing your grandkids. I bet they'll be ever so grateful.
Really. I am 'actually' killing my grandkids? It is stupid statements like this that make me turn the central heating up and drive my (diesel) car in sport mode. Is it not enough to simply say that we all have a responsibility to reduce our carbon footprint as much as possible?

Yes you are, by polluting their environment which leads to shorter unhealthier lives, by compounding the destruction of the mechanisms that keep them alive meaning many will die of thirst, hunger and disease. Impoverishing them by destroying/asset stripping local environments and economies of poorer places and inflicting these injustices on their children as well. So yeah you crack on and be a

Was it Clarkson who suggested to get all drivers to actually pay attention replace airbags with a spike pointing at your chest :)

Yes I seem to remember something like that. It is true that the more safety devices you install, the more dangerous people act.

Yes you are, by polluting their environment which leads to shorter unhealthier lives, by compounding the destruction of the mechanisms that keep them alive meaning many will die of thirst, hunger and disease. Impoverishing them by destroying/asset stripping local environments and economies of poorer places and inflicting these injustices on their children as well. So yeah you crack on and be a
Nah, you must be thinking about somebody else's grandkids. Mine are fine.

I look forward to hearing your review once you've bought one

Thanks for the link, I think that for such a basic car 22,000 euro is a bit steep, though I'd love to have one. I dare say that being so light weight would give it plenty of range.

A friend has a hybrid which costs not very much to charge via a 13amp plug. Most of their trips are local so have gone weeks on leccy only, even with something like a 45 mile range. Longer trips it uses a perfectly suitable ICE. The purchase cost would be huge but for him it works well.

One letter to I think Honest John described someone buying a second hand Ev, maybe a Leaf. The range was ok to start but got worse and became marginal. He was quoted something like £15K for a new battery to which he thought no way I'll tolerate it. But as it got worse and then just too little range to be useable for him after a only a few more months he went back and said ok I'll pay your £15K. Dealer said sorry, no longer made.
I doubt its a Leaf the batteries have lasted much longer than first thought and you can get upgrades from replacements of the origional 24kwh for 5.5k or an 40KWh upgrade from £8k Battery Upgrades - Cleevely Electric Vehicles Gloucestershire also worth trying other Nissan dealers. The batteries are still made in the UK so quite avaialable.

TominDales my point was meant to be more general spurred by a specific case I'd read about a few months back, how do you know that with the oft quoted rapid increase in performance in EVs that in the near future your older EV battery will still be available? That makes a hybrid more attractive with less risk, you may be charged less tax than a full ICE even if your not too common lithium has totally died. Who will know the electric part no longer does a great deal?

From the 2cv site " We reached 120km of range. The engine comes from a Nissan Leaf, the batteries from a Smart. The performance is potentially spectacular, but is electronically adjusted to the 2cv. The rear springs are slightly heavier, as the weight increases by 120kg. Not a disadvantage, it makes the car drive even better, less jumpy and wonderfully smooth. "
That 120kg seems to be behind the back axle. And they leave the gearbox in?

Seperately, I know you will damage lithiums by charging when too cold, so do they have heaters in them too? Powered by what when it's flat?

Latest posts

Back