Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kind of turned off by the "it's like a semiconductor or nuclear reactor". It's not. It's the environment. What is or what isn't should be the important thing to understand. You've managed to suggest that I don't gather what's going on and that I think the effect is shut off. Nowhere did I say that. I said we will make attempts to mitigate it at some point, because it will become necessary. If there is some momentum, that doesn't mean mitigation efforts don't have lag.

As far as man made, I'd say we're pretty comfortable that it's likely man made. Likely means you can act on it (more than just probably, and far more than maybe). But the number of platitudes with the inability of anyone to say something predictive to check against, not a fan.

I seriously doubt it's too late (but it sounds good to scare people - it's like one level beyond - this is the last second, we have to do it now). Threaten that it's already too late. It is or it isn't, but we don't need fantasy stuff.

We don't have wildfire issues here - my state is more than 50% tree covered as I understand it, and it's possible to have conditions where fires occur, but the kind they have in the west - not here. The fires that occur in the western US are small compared to what occurred naturally before mitigation, and most of the fire pressure now is probably two parts:
1) barring cleaning of the forest floor (vs. the older old growth forests that burned periodically leaving behind dominant fire resistant trees)
2) suddenly the fire pressure is going into occupied areas as we feel like it's a great idea to build in them more and more (the deurbanization movement now that follows the urbanization movement that had been going on since the 1920s or so).

But leaving forests in a condition (by regulation) where they burn more easily and then pointing to climate change is a pretty good indication of what's going on here. It's addressing an ideal rather than what is because what is (on the climate change side) doesn't generate enough income or interest on its own.

Without antibiotics, I don't think we have the issue mentioned in the article above (global warming or not). That's the key fact.

Ok. Predictable enough response. I shall agree to disagree, although I do wish you would cease stating your opinions as fact.
However, please don't think I was suggesting that an increase in forest fires is in any way a result of climate change. I wasn't, although I suppose it could be.

Just saw this vid and it is interesting for what Rachel Maddow says about BEVs and the F150 and is why I say it is a game changer

Regarding PHEVs don't waste your money, think about it you've got an engine, gearbox and a tank of fuel then you're adding an electric motor and a battery pack. The weight alone kills your fuel economy and throws the handling out of the window.
I had a BMW 330e Hybrid and the car was rubbish with the stupid stop start system that couldn't be disabled.

Trust me Hybrid's don't work unless you have to drive in a congestion zone.
I've had a PHEV for 5 years and for my needs it is brilliant!

Just saw this vid and it is interesting for what Rachel Maddow says about BEVs and the F150 and is why I say it is a game changer
Not to the sort of person it should be aimed at. It is too large (for the UK), has paltry load carrying capacity, pitifully low range when laden, and is way too expensive. Those factors don't apply if you only need it to carry half a dozen laptops or you regard it as some form of penis extension, but in the real world they matter. It's just that you cannot see that.

The load capacity needs to be nearer to 800kg or 1 tonne, it needs a van body, it needs to be a lot smaller and the range needs to be more like 400 miles in winter with an 800kg load for it to be a game changer.

Maybe in 3 or 4 years it will be, when they correct its' obvious shortcomings (by about generation 3 or 4) - at the moment it is at best an expensive toy for keyboard eco warriors to use for virtue signalling. It is not, for most purposes, a viable working vehicle. Oddly enough, I had a chat with my wife's cousin in California this evening and he was of the same opinion. But then he's a working carpenter with a hefty pick up

Last edited:
Who said anything about the UK? Most contractors don't do round the world trips to get to a job, unlike you apparently. This is aimed at the average workman in most of the US. It meets the needs of most contractors, the biggest market there. They have their supplies delivered by someone else. They are able to carry their tools and if they have a trailer 10000lb or 3 and a half metric tonnes of gear at least 230 miles, for most normal people that is plenty. And it gives you a friggin' inbuilt generator to run your tools for an 8 hour shift at a minimum. This car will change the biggest vehicle sector in the US and for the better. Regardless of the fact that you want to be able to go to Alpha Centrui and back before having to pull in for a pee.

Have you even actually been in a modern current EV? I'm sure your kids/grandkids (if you have any) will thank gran'pa for leaving them a great planet in between taking puffs from their oxygen bottles and eating their cockroach protein bar. It's just that you don't/wont see that.

I've never regarded nor needed to regard anything as a penis extension, must be personal experience you're talking about there, don't worry, I wont tell anyone ;)

Ok. Predictable enough response. I shall agree to disagree, although I do wish you would cease stating your opinions as fact.
However, please don't think I was suggesting that an increase in forest fires is in any way a result of climate change. I wasn't, although I suppose it could be.

Point to an opinion that I stated as fact.

I just wondered what you feel constitutes “significant enough”?

When society as a whole thinks there's enough value in action. It's not my choice as an individual. I'd make everyone have solar panels as a federal mandate if it was my choice and mandate xprize style contests for advancements. I'm not swayed by scary stories at this point because they're more about psychology than they are likelihood.

I don't think you'll find too many commercial shops turning off all of their lighting, because with that goes video surveillance.
Why not? It's easier enough to have motion sensor security leds spots activated as needed.
In actuality, a sensor activated light, shining out of a row dark shops is more likely to be spotted on street cctv, and gives an instant alarm to anyone in vicinity. Much more effective than siren alarm.
Most home owners who fit security lights, don't have them on 24/7 nearly all on sensors nowadays, so why can't businesses do the same.

"because they're more about psychology than they are likelihood."
Again, that's your opinion.

Show me an accurate predictive study over two separate intervals. Just one with accurate numerical predictions.

https://www.cato.org/blog/bias-climate-science
Note the publication bias. Note that it focuses on simplified results and overstatement.
The Cato Institute is an American libertarian think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was founded as the Charles Koch Foundation in 1974 by Ed Crane, Murray Rothbard, and Charles Koch, chairman of the board and chief executive officer of the conglomerate Koch Industries.

Show me an accurate predictive study over two separate intervals. Just one with accurate numerical predictions.
Why? What comfort will it be, as we cling to the top of the Blackpool Tower, surrounded by swirling water, to know that the predictions were a bit out? Define accurate, anyway? It's hard enough to predict the weather for next week, where I live. By the time anyone's produced an "accurate" prediction, over two separate intervals, it could be too late.
My point was, and still is, that according to some scientists (most, as far as I know, but I haven't personally counted them), there are factors like reflectivity and release of trapped methane, that represent so-called tipping points. You don't believe this, you thing we should wait and see. Which is fine, you are entitled to your own opinion, but that's all it is.

When society as a whole thinks there's enough value in action. It's not my choice as an individual. I'd make everyone have solar panels as a federal mandate if it was my choice and mandate xprize style contests for advancements. I'm not swayed by scary stories at this point because they're more about psychology than they are likelihood.
Society as a whole will never agree on this as some are simply selfish and find it convenient to do nothing.

Last edited:
Back