Electric vehicles - again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
non of these pretend Scalextric could pull any thing worth while
Was this down to lack of power or just that with towing the potential range drops by 80%? If just the range then you have the caravan, take a generator and now just stop and re-charge but make the stops part of your holiday.

I think I have just solved the issue for the travelling community if this new law comes into force where they can no longer park up, all they need is electric vehicles and then they can park up for a while with the excuse they are just charging there vehicles whilst on holiday, not actually living there.

A Tesla Model X (just for example) can tow up to 5,000 pounds (call it 2 metric tons). Others can do similar. @fred55 - Glad you like your Landcruiser, drove around Kenya in one 20 years ago and they are really built for that sort of use - but really heavy duty old technology back then. Plus in 10 years time, if you care, it will be impossible to sell as no one will want a smelly old diesel anymore. But... for the next 5 years, you probably made the best choice for the money available.

Just ordered a new Peugeot e 208 for the missus and quite looking forward to its arrival.
Need to sort out a EV charger but not sure i will manage it before the govt grant comes to an end - so much for the Torys green credentials 🙄

Was this down to lack of power or just that with towing the potential range drops by 80%? If just the range then you have the caravan, take a generator and now just stop and re-charge but make the stops part of your holiday.

I think I have just solved the issue for the travelling community if this new law comes into force where they can no longer park up, all they need is electric vehicles and then they can park up for a while with the excuse they are just charging there vehicles whilst on holiday, not actually living there.

The quoted 2250 kg towing capacity is almost the kerbside weight of the car and not realistic, not a great combination and pulling its' own weight in the guise of a large slab fronted caravan wouldn't give me much confidence of its' range. No fast charge either using a generator and you would have to carry petrol in a can for that plus extra space and weigh penalty so a hell of a lot of stops getting to your holiday destination and back. Anyone fancy a trip from the south to Scotland with multiple lengthy stops? BTW the noseweight limit is only 90 kg which is lower than most cars and the lighter the nose generally the less stable the outfit even with clever towing assist software.

I think the travellers would just hitch up half a dozen horses to their caravans Roy. :ROFLMAO:

A Tesla Model X (just for example) can tow up to 5,000 pounds (call it 2 metric tons). Others can do similar. @fred55 - Glad you like your Landcruiser, drove around Kenya in one 20 years ago and they are really built for that sort of use - but really heavy duty old technology back then. Plus in 10 years time, if you care, it will be impossible to sell as no one will want a smelly old diesel anymore. But... for the next 5 years, you probably made the best choice for the money available.

5 Years no no Lons, I'm going to sell it in 10yrs time for a profit , to what-ever war, crisis, rebel or insurgence is going on in the world. there's always a demand for big Toyota there; at the moment if you want to stop the crisis in Ukraine, Afghanistan, Scotland or where ever I suggest attack Toyota Headquarters - theres never any uprising or wars without Big Toyotas being involve; it wouldn't be the same with a GeeWizz or Prius. My solution to World peace - Blow up Toyota Head Quarters ! who agrees with me

5 Years no no Lons, I'm going to sell it in 10yrs time for a profit , to what-ever war, crisis, rebel or insurgence is going on in the world. there's always a demand for big Toyota there; at the moment if you want to stop the crisis in Ukraine, Afghanistan, Scotland or where ever I suggest attack Toyota Headquarters - theres never any uprising or wars without Big Toyotas being involve; it wouldn't be the same with a GeeWizz or Prius. My solution to World peace - Blow up Toyota Head Quarters ! who agrees with me
:) Whatever , I have no doubt you'll find a buyer, wasn't it a Toyota that Top gear stuck on the top of a building and demolished it then drowned it in the sea between tides and still got it started?
I'm hanging on to my diesel GLC for a while yet as they's absolutely nothing out there I'd want to replace it with....well maybe an Aston Martin. :unsure:
Out friends sold their old car in 2014 that had been in the family since 1964 and it's just come back up for sale at rather a lot more than they got for it.
https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/listing/gordon-keeble/gt/gt/1964/253421

:) Whatever , I have no doubt you'll find a buyer, wasn't it a Toyota that Top gear stuck on the top of a building and demolished it then drowned it in the sea between tides and still got it started?
I'm hanging on to my diesel GLC for a while yet as they's absolutely nothing out there I'd want to replace it with....well maybe an Aston Martin. :unsure:
Out friends sold their old car in 2014 that had been in the family since 1964 and it's just come back up for sale at rather a lot more than they got for it.
https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/listing/gordon-keeble/gt/gt/1964/253421
How do they compare to a Bristol 410??

I don't know James I never saw the car only photos and the guy died on Christmas day 2020, it was his dad who bought the car originally and tbh I'd never heard of Gorden Keeble until they told me. Why the badge is a turtle is strange, I would have thought it would be something that portrays speed. Not my kind of car but as an investment it's a different story.

I don't know James I never saw the car only photos and the guy died on Christmas day 2020, it was his dad who bought the car originally and tbh I'd never heard of Gorden Keeble until they told me. Why the badge is a turtle is strange, I would have thought it would be something that portrays speed. Not my kind of car but as an investment it's a different story.
Nice car from what I've just read!
Much like a Bristol 410 - big GT...

Just found this rather amousing story

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akv...gers-hacked-tell-users-putin-is-a-richardhead

The quoted 2250 kg towing capacity is almost the kerbside weight of the car and not realistic, not a great combination and pulling its' own weight in the guise of a large slab fronted caravan wouldn't give me much confidence of its' range. No fast charge either using a generator and you would have to carry petrol in a can for that plus extra space and weigh penalty so a hell of a lot of stops getting to your holiday destination and back. Anyone fancy a trip from the south to Scotland with multiple lengthy stops? BTW the noseweight limit is only 90 kg which is lower than most cars and the lighter the nose generally the less stable the outfit even with clever towing assist software.

I think the travellers would just hitch up half a dozen horses to their caravans Roy. :ROFLMAO:
Good post.

Good video on YouTube with a Skoda towing a caravan. Range down by 50%.

Good post.

Good video on YouTube with a Skoda towing a caravan. Range down by 50%.
If it's the same video I saw just a few days ago the "caravan" it was towing was tiny, more a bed on wheels than a caravan and not an option for anyone with a family. That video was measured laps around a track at steady 60mph, it was the large battery extended version with a quoted range of 330 miles but even solo with all the air con and other electrics turned off the real world range was a lot lower than that so would be even worse on a mortorway and in traffic.

An interesting new series has just started with Andrew Ditton on his tube channel. he has just released a video of his new touring set up which is a Kia EV6 and a Compass S30 caravan

out of interest there are now getting quite a few 3 n 4 wheel mini/micro EV cars here....
but only bought by the foreigners.....
the locals still charge around in their "D" pick-ups.....
dont fancy being wiped out with an overloaded Hi Lux on some back road....
Still gonna keep my T4.....thanks......

Back