Electric Tariff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My current electric fixed rate tariff expires end August but I cannot seem to find a good tariff this time, I seem to be led astray looking for rates because google keeps trapping me and restricting contacts to general markets . (and only green tariffs which were never the cheapest anyway)

Anyone got a good link to follow?

Most of the comparison sites have a tick box somewhere to give you all the tariffs rather than just the ones they have deals with. But also do some research about the reviews the company's get. Some of the cheapest have very poor reviews of customer satisfaction as do some of the more expensive ones.

I was with Sainsburys (run by British Gas) and shortly after the fixed term deal ended I got passed to British Gas as a customer. On there cheapest tariff! Which was one of the most expensive going in the market.

Having had to deal with British Gas for my father when he was dying I had vowed to go nowhere near them again. They would not believe the meter readings I gave as there was too little usage, he was in hospital! They sent estimated bills and repeated threats to take him to court even though he did not owe them any money and I was telling them why the usage was low. Eventually they sent a meter reader around, I took a day off work to be there. When the threatening letters continued I phoned them and they said they had no recored of a meter reader visiting the premises. My recent dealings with them were not so traumatic but not brilliant.

Good luck

The first thing I would say is to keep records of every commication as soon as problems start. My daughter had a nightmare experience with BG which went on for nine months - the only reason she beat them in the end was because she kept details of everything, so when they said the meter reading was hers she could say no, it was read by Fred Bloggs on Sept7 '18 and when they said (conveniently for them) that they had no record of something she could say sorry, you had an email at 10.23am 2/6/18 or whatever. BG tried to catch her for £2300 nine months (in a one bedroom flat) after she reported a faulty meter.
I've dealt with two comparison sites without a hitch. I'm with green Energy Network now, and they have been fine to deal with since I refused to deal with anyone over the phone and insisted on emails (mainly because they had people with accents I couldn't understand manning the phones) . :D

Also with green network energy. I had a year with Flow energy before that who were largely harmless, but as always, the message is to change supplier every year as there is no reward for loyalty and switching is the only way to stay on a properly competitive tarriff.

devonwoody":2yk7ptc2 said:
...... (and only green tariffs which were never the cheapest anyway)

Not necessarily. I can't speak for a combined gas/electricity tariff but we went for a fixed electricity only from OutfoxTheMarket two years ago and they were cheapest then and they are still cheapest for their latest fixed tariff. I can't find a cheaper deal. And they are green.

Regrettably the unit price across the board from all suppliers has gone up well above the RPI. Guess it's the penalty for us users subsidising all those wind farms.

Bulb. Green, cheap, easy to deal with for lectric and gas. BG are descendants of Edwin Teach with the morals of a satyr regarding a fresh virgin.

Sam

+1 for Bulb

I've been with them for a year or so, very happy with them.

+1 for bulb

if you do go for bulb find a friend / family member who's on it.

£50 for them and £50 for you

Finally sorted the new electric tariff thanks. booked 3 year contract with Green Energy, a little higher than some quotes but 3 years, reason I suspect inflation. When we went into EU we got nearly 25% inflation in the 70's, I reckon it could do the same coming out.

devonwoody":2ljoenca said:
Finally sorted the new electric tariff thanks. booked 3 year contract with Green Energy, a little higher than some quotes but 3 years, reason I suspect inflation. When we went into EU we got nearly 25% inflation in the 70's, I reckon it could do the same coming out.

I just punched in my postcode as my fixed rates are coming to an end mid Sept. I nearly fell off the chair as Green Energy are just over 80% more than what I am currently paying.

Edit - Google took me to https://www.greenenergyuk.com. https://green.energy seems a lot closer - I'll have a look. Thanks

Back