electric scooters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Licensing regs. are complicated.

A person with a disability can apply for, and obtain a licence to drive a car at the age of sixteen.

IIAC, if a person uses extra mirrors, or requires any other driving aid that is not standard in a vehicle, then that aid becomes a requirement on their licence.

Years ago I had a pupil who, although not disabled, had a minor restriction in her neck movement which made it awkward when she turned in her seat to look out of the rear screen when reversing. I contacted the DSA (Driver Standards Agency) as it was in those days regarding her problem, and was advised that it would be better if she could manage without extra mirrors as they would become a condition of her licence. This did not become a problem for her as she move to Spain where she could apparently drive a Smart Car on a provisional licence.

Nigel.

I see some kids around here wizzing around on small electric scooters (they seem to be using them sensibly and responsibly, so this isnt a criticism).

Anybody any suggestions which one to buy my daughter. They look cool, I know that she would love one!
I bought one with a 250 watt motor.....It is Seriously Underpowered...Won't climb anything more than a slight slope...Hills are Completely Out of the question.
The DVLA are Definitely Against ant e-anything with more than a 250 watt motor....Because of the Hills problem with the scooter I spent £2000 on an e-Cycle with 23 gears and a 500 watt motor; thinking that, as the (Stark) manufacturer had advertised it as being "Road-Legal" - I would be able to climb hills on it.
No such luck ! - In the UK - DVLA have classified it as a "Moped" and require me to have it tested and Approved by DVSA, given an MOT Certificate (If it Passes the Test) - They then want me to have a Driving Licence a VIN Number & Registration Plates, Insurance & a Crash Helmet ! - It has a maximum speed of 22mph.
It is a complete (£2000) white elephant ! DVLA ARE TOTALLY IMMOVABLE...Negotiations are not possible...DO A LOT OF DVLA RESEARCH WELL BEFORE YOU SPEND ANY MONEY AT ALL ON ANY "Electrically Propelled Vehicle" As to the situation regarding these small scooters - They have recently been approved by DVLA as being OK to use on a public road - IF THEY ARE ON HIRE FROM A RECOGNISED VEHICLE HIRE COMPANY"
IT would be illegal to use one at all on a public road, If You OWN it ! - ( If you have Private Land Access & live in a Flat-Surface-Area, they are Great Fun at 15mph.....If you hit a stone with those small wheels, you will go over the handle-bars & at 15mph - it Hurts ! ( PS - ALWAYS USE THE BACK-BRAKE FIRST.)
IF YOU USE THE FRONT BRAKE FIRST - You Might Break Your Back !

I'm afraid that the trainer misinformed you. The threshold of prosecution is set by the Chief Constable of each of the 42 constabularies in England and Wales. The 10% is actually a guideline nothing else. 1mph over the posted limit is a whole offence and as such is prosecutable. Under Section 35 of the Construction and Use Regulations 1986, the fitted speedometer is allowed to over read but not under read. So at a true ground speed of 25mph, the fitted speedometer shall not read in excess of the true ground speed +10% +2.5mph. So 25+2.5+2.5=30mph. so when your speedometer is showing 30mph the true speed is somewhere between 25-30mph. It is illegal for the speedometer to under read. Hope that helps.

With regard to who operates the mobile camera vans, The operator is very often not a police officer but civilian police staff. All offences recorded must be dealt with and approved by a police officer, so they review the evidence recorded by the civilian staff.

I hope that this has been helpful.
No, I'm not a police officer but I am an ADI of 20+ years experience and a Licenced NDORS trainer for Speed Awareness and other courses.

Always happy to provide assistance and guidance to help you stay on the correct side of the fence!!
many thanks for the clarity of the response.

So, if my speedo is registering 33, it is quite possible I am doing a true speed of 30, and no offence is being committed. A (modern) car I recently owned with cruise control would cruise at a set speed with the speedo routinely reading a slightly differing speed. Those nice speed calibration signs, the ones that tell you how fast you're going, all agreed the speedo was wrong, showing 33 at an actual speed of 29mph

When I lived in England a chap was wizzing along a pavement when a car pulled out of his drive, missed him by a whisker. But I think he required clean underwear.

As XX558 says, you can prove this by checking with your Sat Nav. When my speedometer says 70mph, my satnav say 66mph.

As you can imagine, I have no idea what my speedometer says when the sat nav says 70mph!!!!!

Phil
Can I just add that GPS was originally used on shipping. Slow vessels on a relatively flat surface. With motor vehicles, there are greater rapid changes of speed/direction and also elevation. So use the satnav speed readings with caution.

I understand that car sat navs update position once per second, and for high speed use (military drones etc) an update rate of 10hz is the norm.

As speed is simply a calculation of time and change in position I would guess that sat nav speeds are very accurate unless braking very sharply.

I suspect that when first introduced for shipping the accuracy of navigation systems and processor speeds were much lower. For their intended use on ships this perhaps did not matter.

As the scooterist is uninsured most likely and "driving" on the pavement in what is technically a road vehicle, he would be to blame as root cause of the event, and the car drivers insurance would persue him. But while the beebobs would do him they would also look to do the car driver for driving without due care and attention and also probably driving without reasonable consideration for other persons aka careless driving.

The scooter should not have been there, it is likely the driver would say that he had done checks for pedestrians and was looking for road vehicles on the road, was unsighted by vehicle blindspot the scooter had clearly been going excessively quickly as he had not had time to stop/take evasive measures....I'm sorry officer, there was nothing in sight when I started moving, he came from nowhere while I was watching the bus at the stop, the road was clear, I backed out, he must have seen my indicator and reversing lights .....

Back