Electric or Air Nail Gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockonehundred

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My air gun has started playing up after 6 months. The hose pops out for no reason and leaks air. I had the same trouble where I used to work with the leaks... The compressor is not the best of brands, but it wasn't cheap. I'm wondering if I should replace the gun with something top end or just buy an electric one.

Does anyone have any comparative feedback and recommendations on either decision?

Thanks

I've got pneumatic nail guns (23g 16g and 18g), a Porter Cable Bammer (15g) gas powered gun and I also have Ryobi Airstrike P320 (18g) and P325 (16g) Electric Guns. I typically now only use the 23g pinner and the two Ryobi Airstrike Guns, with a 4.0Ah battery they are really great, have never let me down and considerably cheaper than the Paslode or Dewalt guns. If Ryobi ever make a 23g Airstrike pinner, I will be the first in line for one of them too.

I gave up with electric brad nailers tried 2 makes, both jammed on a regular basis so gave up on Electric ](*,)

Purchased a Makita AF 505 18swg brad gun £70 which I use on a daily basis, never had a miss fire or jam. Today I used it with 50mm brads fired about 70 with out a problem.

I also have an Axminster 90401 18swg staple gun £50 which my wife uses for upholstery I use it occasionally again it has never miss fired or jammed.

The compressor I have is only a Draper 24ltr capacity but copes very well with the guns.

regards

Wouldn't recommend cheap electric nail guns they're infamous for not fully driving nails. The newer cordless guns are good but expensive. Not sure what you mean by the hose popping out, if you mean that its got a quick release that leaks or comes loose why not just replace that part. You can get both the part that fits the gun as well as the hose end fitting from Machine Mart for not a lot, the half a dozen guns that I have from 23g to framing nailers all have the quick release. As well as a number of other air tools.

Steve

Just a thought but might be also worth checking that you are not using too much air pressure?
I've got a little 18 gauge gun that is max rated at 100 psi and I find by using a regulator set to around 75 psi is plenty enough.

Personally I'd buy the new DeWalt Li-Ion nail gun. Most will be surprised (I'm Makita through and through) but it is probably the best bit of kit they've produced for a long time and I couldn't find fault with it. It does come with a hefty price tag though if you don't already have batteries and charger.

Leaks are usually just a matter of replacing worn/faulty fittings or tightening things up, if your connector is coming apart it sounds like it needs replacing.
If you only use one gauge of nail then the Dewalt battery gun is a great tool & very convenient, if you want to use a selection of gauge nails then the compressor route is a lot cheaper with more variety.
I have 5 guns including a stapler & a little Bostich portable compressor these cover all my nailing needs & cost around the same price as the Dewalt.
As with most things it depends on your budget & your work needs.

HexusOdy":3vfkqh4o said:
Electric guns are rubbish
Says you! Got some, had some, tried some? Where is your evidence?

I actually disagree, my electric guns work fine thanks!

Don't need a compressor or a hose, absolutely untethered, and they just work.

Ed Bray":3tt012r1 said:
HexusOdy":3tt012r1 said:
Electric guns are rubbish
Says you! Got some, had some, tried some? Where is your evidence?

I actually disagree, my electric guns work fine thanks!

Don't need a compressor or a hose, absolutely untethered, and they just work.

Sounds like your talking about battery powered nailers? The OP says Electric which I take to be mains powered and not untethered.

In which case they are rubbish :) Mains powered nailers are underpowered and generally have max 2m cables. I started with a Tacwise mains powered and quickly bought a compressor and air powered gun.

Also if you have a battery nailer, mains powered or even gas your fixed to one gauge. If you have a compressor you can have a choice of gauges with different guns that are a fraction of the cost.

Ah, I have a compressor a gert big 3hp one with a gert big 90l tank, not easy to drag around the house for finish nailing though, I also have air driven guns, but, I rarely use them (except the 23g pinner) as the other guns do everything else that I need. I haven't got a framing nailer yet, but then I haven't needed one as yet. I might have a requirement for one later this year and then will certainly look at an Air Powered Version.

I have used air nail guns for a few years. As my workshop is down the cellar I purchased an extension air line about 50ft long for the rare occasion needed to use upstairs. It looked decent enough for E-bay being rubber so I made a spool out of chipboard to keep it off the floor. 18 months later I had occasion to use the nailer in the lounge and feeling smug plugged the airline in for it's maiden voyage. It leaked in about 20 places due to the rubber perishing. I now have cheap plastic reinforced hose which looks nasty but at least it doesn't leak. Beware E-bay rubber airline. Harry

I've recently purchased the Makita AF505 and couldn't be happier with it - with the pressure set right it leaves no mark on the wood, just a perfectly flush nail head. Previously I had a combined nailer/stapler which left a staple sized ding in the wood no matter what - combination nailer/staplers are a bad idea. As for electric nailers and staplers - they are for craft projects, not construction or woodworking - plus they explode eventually. I used to run a picture framing business many years ago where we used the Rapseco ones on a daily basis and after a week of all day use they exploded - spring loaded hammer mechanism literally blasted out the top of them. We returned them on warranty a few times before cutting out losses and buying a few Bambi silent compressors and air staplers.

The best thing about having a compressor in your workshop is that you can open your door, attach the air blower and literally blast out all dust from your workshop in 20 seconds and have every machine looking brand new at the end of the day - they're worth it for that alone.

glynster":12nm28ee said:
...........The best thing about having a compressor in your workshop is that you can open your door, attach the air blower and literally blast out all dust from your workshop in 20 seconds and have every machine looking brand new at the end of the day - they're worth it for that alone.
The neighbours would love that! Must wait 'tll they're washing their cars.:) :)

Latest posts

Back