Electric Nailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
I am putting together some kitchen cabinets, and need a nailer to hold them prior to screwing. So i need something cheap and cheerful, and I don't have a compressor.

I was looking at something like this: http://dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/TAC500EL

Any thoughts on the best tool? I do not want cheap rubbish, however it is occasional use only, so I don't want to go overboard.

Hi Dave,

I got a cheaper Tacwise one before I got a compressor, it was only about £40 from memory, and the build quality wasn't amazing. No matter how you used it it always marred the surface of the timber. I've got A Senco compressor and Axi guns and they work a treat. The only other electric one I've used is the DeWalt 18v one, they're pretty expensive but was streets ahead of the Tacwise. I'd see if you could borrow someone's compressor for a day or two.

HTH, Cheers _Dan.

Having only DIY occasional need for a nailer I didn't want to also get a compressor so took a chance on a Wolf cordless like this one. It's performed admirable for a long while and does all I need. Not so fast as the air type but there's no trailing wire/hose and the two batteries it comes with charge quickly and last for ages.

Thinking about compressor because they come in handy for other things. borrowing tricky though as I am in the Italian mountains, and not a lot of people around here... also buying something i want instead of need... never makes SWMBO happy ;-)

looking at the wolf, I am generally of the mind that you get what you pay for and a £50 wolf is probably the same as a £50 Tacwise... however although I like the idea of battery, i see it only does up to 1 1/4" nails. how is it power wise? does the nail get embedded all the way in?

I am not to concerned about marring the wood, as I never have metal fixing showing, so will have a cover panel, or will be internal, or something. however if it does not marr, then that is better of course!

The DeWalt one looks very nice, however at £450 i think it's a bit overkill ;-) perhaps if i take up house building or something!

thanks for the thoughts so far!

The longest nails I use are 20mm and they embed to flush in European oak. I'm sure it's not as good as a compressor + gun but it's done all I want and it's very handy being cordless. I tried a Tacwise - the Wolf is better built. If you have other uses for a compressor (I don't) then it's different.

I struggled along for a while with a couple of the cordless Tacwise - they both just stopped working, but until that happened they weren't great; very finicky trigger, it either wouldn't fire at all or would go into bump mode and fire two or three; depth control was very poor, and as others have said, it always marked the surface of the material, despite the 'no-mar' tip. They were also surprisingly large - almost the size of a paslode - which didn't help in many situations.

I gave up in the end and bought the Spotnails SE30/08 veneer pinner which is excellent. I still have one of the cheaper corded Tacwise that I use as a stapler - it's OK as that, but no better than 'OK' - certainly not great. If you're not up for spending the sort of money that Maestri or Spotnails demand just for occasional use, then personally I think I'd buy a few cheap sash clamps and pocket the difference.

Cheers, Pete

Both Amazon and Screwfix sell this nail gun and have a number of reviews. It seems that some think it good and others only criticise.

You could get one from Screwfix and as they have a decent returns policy return it if it doesn't do what it says on the tin!

Misterfish

`i got one of the Tacwise staple/nailer guns when it first came out.
I don't use it a lot but it is always ready to go when I want it.
As has been said, it marks your work when nailing but no marks
with staples.
Willy.

Back