electric motor?????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all. got a pillar drill ( freebie) but the motor is dodgy, will run with out belt on, but just buzzs when they are on.(turns freely by hand)
is the the capacitor? or could it be the switch. was going to wire it without the switch to see but not got around to it yet,

andy

Remove the belts, try spinning the motor in the opposite direction from normal and then switch on. If the motor continues in the 'wrong' direction then the capacitor is almost certainly dead. Make sure that you get one of the correct value and designed for motor running ie with a voltage rating of 400-450 volts. This will ensure a suitable margin for both motor starting and motor running applications as it could be being used in either mode.

Ebay tends to be a good source of motor capacitors - search for motor run.

hth

Bob

9fingers":19uerp7h said:
Remove the belts, try spinning the motor in the opposite direction from normal and then switch on. If the motor continues in the 'wrong' direction then the capacitor is almost certainly dead. Make sure that you get one of the correct value and designed for motor running ie with a voltage rating of 400-450 volts. This will ensure a suitable margin for both motor starting and motor running applications as it could be being used in either mode.

hth

Bob

Despite your current dispute with the mods (whether right or wrong), you still offer instant expert advice to a member who needs it.

Says everything in my book Book =D> =D> =D>

Bob

Lons":pqohegbq said:
Despite your current dispute with the mods (whether right or wrong), you still offer instant expert advice to a member who needs it.

Bob

+1

Lons":3serbcfu said:
9fingers":3serbcfu said:

hth

Bob

Bob

Well I am still deeply pi88ed off by the way the moderation was applied and their rejection of my argument. It has also exposed a certain degree of personal bias that I object to but life goes on.

I seem to find it difficult not to respond to calls for help..... :roll:

Bob

only wanted to know about my motor ,

caught in the middle of major punch up by looks of it lol.

all i can say is thankyou for help. and dont leave just coz of a disagreement, dung happens move on

anyways tried reversing but it wont have it . got it to run on slowest speed just manages it. no gutts in motor?????????

andy

lugo35":1ivipcwe said:
only wanted to know about my motor , caught in the middle of major punch up by looks of it lol. andy

:lol: :lol: I think that's called collateral damage Andy

anyways tried reversing but it wont have it . got it to run on slowest speed just manages it. no gutts in motor?????????

Does it 'growl' when rotating?

Roy.

Hi Andy,

If your motor has a definite preference for turning one way then that rather suggests that the capacitor is having an effect and so is probably OK. You could try bypassing the switch but I doubt that this is the problem.

Has the drill ever worked since you have had it? If so can you describe the circumstances around the time it went from Ok to no good.
Was there excessive load/overheating /release of smoke etc

If you want to send it to me, I can have a look but the cost of carriage might make this an un economic proposition. Have you got any other motors you could put on it? Might be easiest solution all round.

Cheers

Bob

it was years ago, i think it was overloaded still worked for abit then stopped. i have another motor to hand will go with this i think,

thanx for the offer to have alook,

andy

Latest posts

Back