Electric Motor Overhaul Question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vann

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks.

I've been doing up a Wadkin RB surface planer since I bought it about three years ago. With in nearing completion (i.e. only another year or two to go :roll: :roll: ) I decided to tidy up the motor as well.

It's a 3phase, 1.5hp, 400 volt induction motor, manufactured in 1926.

I've pulled it apart and repainted the housing. Yesterday I finally got the bearings off (actually a mate with a bearing puller got them off for me).

The armature is quite dirty (not covered in grease surprisingly) and the mate suggested I wash it down. I don't know what's in an induction motor armature. There doesn't appear to be any wiring - but I'm reluctant to immerse it in water in case I do permanent damage :shock: .

Can anyone here with knowledge of electric motors advise me please?

Cheers, Vann.

It’s usually a laminated stack (like a transformer) with shorting bars running lengthways. You’re unlikely to do it any harm by washing it. I clean up windings with WD40, then meths.

I’m not exactly a motor expert but I can’t see that being a good idea, try solvents like white spirit and a scrubbing brush first

Aidan

Get some solvent free switch motor contact cleaner.

Remove as much as you can with dry cloths, old tooth brush. Then carefully remove the last with minimum amount of cleaner.
Let dry.

Made in 1926?

Please be very careful when handling the windings. The varnish and ties will be quite delicate by now if it's 94 years old. I doubt that they are original, but any subsequent re-wind is worth checking.

In addition to the rotor cleaning, I'd strongly recommend an electrical safety check before you turn the juice back on, including checking if the induction rods in the rotor are still secure and tight.

Argus":bufp47sn said:
Made in 1926?...
Yes. Tested at the Wadkin factory on 18th October, 1926. I'm sure the motor is original - but I don't know whether it's been rewound a few times over the years.

It was meggered and test run in October 2017 by an electrician mate...
RB 17b.jpg
RB 17mt.jpg

...but overhaul stopped a month or so later when I found the cutterblock had been seriously abused.

Wallace overhauled his RB surface planer over two and a half weeks - mine's three years and counting :oops: :oops:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• RB 17b.jpg
    RB 17b.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 43
  • RB 17mt.jpg
    RB 17mt.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 45
Ask your electrician mate that did the megger test what he thinks you should clean it with if at all. Sometimes it is better to leave sleeping dogs lie.

Pete

Back