Electric motor advice required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

I need to try and locate a 12 or 230 volt motor that does 8 revolutions per hour

Was going to ask Bob 9fingers but found this comment by Bob

I am no longer active on this forum. I can still be found on other UK based woodworking forums
:?

Did I miss something to make Bob leave ?

Any help or advice much appreciated

does it have to be an exact 8 rph or can it just be very very slow- could you perhaps get something with a very low rpm, and turn some gears on the lathe (somehow) to slow it down further?

Are you allowed anywhere near the lathe at the moment by the way?

marcros":15f63c4w said:
does it have to be an exact 8 rph or can it just be very very slow- could you perhaps get something with a very low rpm, and turn some gears on the lathe (somehow) to slow it down further?

Are you allowed anywhere near the lathe at the moment by the way?

Hi

I am trying to gather the components to make a ultrasonic LP / Record cleaner like this one ,I have the ultrasonic bath already , I intend to run this on a 30 minute timer so end up with 4 revs per 1/2 hour

They are commercially available in the USA but are $4000 so its either make your own or don't have one as I am not paying $4000 plus shipping and import robbery ( sorry Taxes )

Will do a update re Doctors orders

Thanks

Attachments

• record cleaner.jpg
    record cleaner.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 802
Hi Blister

Have you considered driving the LP by a disc in contact with the circumfrence of the LP? You could then juggle diameter and RPM to get the desired outcome.

Regards Mick

You may be able to build something with the parts below or similar.

The motor run at 4.5v would run at 2.5 rpm and then you could modify the kit to find a suitable ratio to get down nearer to the speed you are looking at.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electric...box-and-Motor-810-1-6mm-Shaft-4-5-15v-37-1109

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/Multi-ratio-gearbox-and-motor-RVFM-64470

I may be able to find you some appropriate gears if this is not something you require right away.
Some of my customers supply gear and pulley kits into the education markets.

Chris.

Try your local R/c model shop, your get servos that rotate a full 360 degrees and they would run quite slowly.
You could make a reduction mechanism with 2 or more discs (wood or otherwise) connected with elastic bands.
You can get gear boxes for standard motors which would reduce the rpm to a few per minute, reduce further as above, or cascade gear boxes
A stepper motor can be rotated at whatever speed you like, but the driving circuit and software may be more complex than you want.
An old tape player could be cannibalised for the motor, control circuit and reduction gears.
You could obtain a high torque clock mechanism and step the speed up with pulleys or gears.
Get an old pendulum clock mechanism and connect a smaller pendulum.

Hi, Blister

Cheap cordless drill?

Can I bring my Lp's round?

Pete

Thanks for the input so far :mrgreen:

There are 2 reasons I need 8 revolutions per HOUR , first one is because the vinyl needs to be in the cleaning solution long enough for the ultrasonics to work

Second reason is the slower the rotation the longer drain off time for the LP ,
if it rotates to fast cleaning fluid will run everywhere including making the record labels wet ,
this I don't want

I can get one of these motors from China / Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190644766502? ... 1423.l2649

then I need to gear it down

Hi, Blister

As long as the LP is in the fluid for long enough to clean it, I think the RPM is irelavant, you will still be left with one cord of the LP wet no matter what speed its turning.

Pete

You could just but a Keith Monks or a Nitty Gritty ;-)

Racers":19amgz06 said:
Hi, Blister

As long as the LP is in the fluid for long enough to clean it, I think the RPM is irelavant, you will still be left with one cord of the LP wet no matter what speed its turning.

Pete

Pete
I assume you have seen the price of these :lol: and they work on a brush scrubbing the LP maybe pushing the gunge further into the grooves , I used ultrasonics when in the motor trade to clean the pintles in petrol fuel injectors , and it worked very well :wink:

What are you using for the sonic bit?

I have a Moth Record cleaner which works on a vacuum principle.

Rod

flh801978":gawkixfl said:
Your photo of the setup you want to replicate looks like a barbeque motor which if you ran off a simple timer on for 15secs off 15secs would surely work

Ian

The photo I used is from a USA web site and the person that built that one did say it was a spit roast motor

Timer ay now I need to look them up 8)

Back