Electric house heating - any new tech savvy members?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve done exactly this on my 1885 granite walled property. We had Icynene permeable foam poured into the space between the lathe & plaster and the external walls. You should research this foam and the few companies set up to install it. Our home is transformed: draughts gone (esp around windows), massively warmer and quieter. We sprayed Icynene between the roof trusses also and so have a warm clean and dry loft. There’s lots of ignorance and doubt about this type of permeable foam, and you’ll find a lot of people have not heard of it, or are very sceptical. Check out the 10yr+ research done by Scottish Heritage to validate it’s effectiveness at isolation and also in avoiding damp.

Is this the same foam that mortgage lenders wont lend against? I had no idea that this is an issue until the people buying our house had to remove it from their roof as nobody would grant a mortgage to their buyers.

AFAIK it isn't. The emphasis is the word 'permeable'. I think. It's a great pity that Mike G doesn't post here anymore as he is an expert.

Is this the same foam that mortgage lenders wont lend against? I had no idea that this is an issue until the people buying our house had to remove it from their roof as nobody would grant a mortgage to their buyers.

I think certain lenders are still wary of Icynene, however the volume of positive feedback is great. Historic Scotland have used it for years now (no mortgage needed of course). There's a lot of uncertainty and ignorance. It is worth researching the actual information available.
Here's a quote from Kishorn Insulations website:
Icynene is the only foam on the market to have achieved BBA, ETA and IAB certifications and has been successfully tested and certified for applications directly to the underside of breathable and non breathable roof membranes and felts and has received BBA certification for this application. Icynene absorbs the lowest amount of moisture and has the highest level of vapour resistivity of any soft foam on the market.

Latest posts

Back