Electric heaters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how well slimline panel heaters work? See here:
http://www.tlcdirect.co.uk/Main_Index/H ... index.html
I have been toying with the idea of a slim 400 watt panel heater, but have held off because I am still not sure how efficient it might be. I don't want it to heat the workshop very much but I would like it to keep the chill off the place. It would probably be connected via a thermostatic timer.
The alternative would be an oil-filled radiator but that might be more expensive to run and would take up more room, which I do not have. What do you think?
Any comments gratefully received.

SF

Hi SF

I wasn't able to view the link, as bandwidth had been exceeded.

If the link was going to show the ultra-slim stainless steel heaters that run all day for about 8-10 pence, then I can help.

I have two of them running in my workshop, which is a single garage conversion. I need to have the two going when it is below zero and it keeps the workshop at about five celcius.

About half an hour before I want to use it, I switch a ceramic heater on and this quickly brings it up to a comfortable temperature. The thermostat cuts in and maintains the temperature.

HTH.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks Neil
I'm not sure if what I was looking at on the net was a stainless steel heater but it sure is slim. About 9 or 10 mm thick actually, plus the depth of the brackets, 29 mm in total. I have not seen one "in the flesh".
If you have any more info I would appreciate it.
Cheers.

Pete

I have something that "sounds" familiar (not stainless steel though) - but the link you have provided has the bandwidth limit exceeded - can you find it somewhere else?

Adam

I rely on the freezer in the workshop, the radiation from the fins at the back is warm and the consumption is 800watts. Buy another chest freezer and please the wife at the same time. :)

If I had room for the freezer, Devon, I might just do it!
I think the easy way is to give you the website address as follows:
www.tlc-direct.co.uk/. Go to "sales" and browse for "heating", "panel heaters" and "super slim" heaters. I was thinking of the JV SH600.
Thanks for your help so far.

SF

400w is probably too low IMHO but it depends on the size and heatloss of your workshop. If you had 4 100w light bulbs burning, do you think that the room would be warm enough?

Will it be warm enough for when you are actually using the workshop? How quickly would you want to heat the workshop up to a higher heat level?

I've used these heaters from Dimplex http://www.dimplex.co.uk/consumer/panel.htm which although not necessarily cheap, do come with quite sophisticated controls such as night setback. I reckon that they're pretty stylish as well.

Hello SF - This is what I use. I have 2 kw in a 20'x10' workshop.

They are wall mounted, so you can keep them up off the floor. I also have a plug-in electronic timer to automate things a little, although I understand you can now get a timer with temerature control which I might upgrade to. I also have three tube heaters individually switched to provide background heat over night etc. My reason for choosing these was to avoid all possibility of a fire hazard.

I went for an sealed option as well - no open element which may accumulate dust and present a fire risk.

THe amount of heat needed depends on the amount of insulation!

I use just a few hundreds watts - but then A) my workshop is very small B) its well insulated.

Adam

I use a couple of these,(middle one) the ones with fixed stat no timer, mine came from B & Q about £40 each if I recall
http://www.tesco.com/electrical/product.aspx?R=8130791
In a well insulated 36' x 11' wooden workshop , only turning both on now the temperature has fallen. They provide adequate background warmth to prevent damp and when it's really cold I boost with 3kw fan heater. I also have an old AMD PC permanently running chucking out a bit of warmth . I used to use 2' tubes and was a little sceptical about the panel heaters but they do exacty what I want.

Cheers Alan

SF

I have the one that you are talking about - used to keep a porch above freezing. Not effective at all. Too low in power to set up enough convection to heat the room , although its very warm within two or three inches!

Cheers

Tim

SF,

You can work it out roughly using one of the many heat loss calculator programs floating about on the interweb

I seem to have started something here!
I only want to keep the temperature above freezing when I'm not in the workshop. I don't expect too much from these things. It's just that a slimline heater will not take up very much room. I have got other heaters for use when I need to be warm but I would like to be able to give them a bit of a head start.
I guess if the panel heater turns out to be not such a good idea I should be looking at the oil-filled radiator type instead. But that seems to automatically raise the wattage and hence the running cost. However, if that is what I need then that is what I will have to do!
I would like to know what you are using though, Neil.
Nice to hear of all your solutions, keep 'em coming, please.
Cheers.

SF

SF

Sorry - didn't make myself clear - the heater you asked about, doesn't keep my porch above freezing. Its 3m x 4m and is well insulated but not heated.

Cheers

Tim

Hi SF

I believe that you want to do what I am doing now, which is to have the heater/s on all of the time and keeping it above freezing. Mine runs just under 5C.

When I want to go in I put another heater on for about half an hour.

The ones that I have seem to be similar to your link. I bought them when there was an offer in the paper.

Have a look here http://www.yttlaser2000.co.uk/

The ones I have are stainless steel. I don't know if they were a special that they did for the Telegraph.

HTH.

Cheers
Neil

SF

I have just come down to the workshop and looked at the thermometer and it says 10 degrees C and it's about freezing outside with a minus windchill so hope that gives some idea of how my panels cope. they are about 28mm thick with an option to wall mount or freestand, I have mine freestanding away from the wall to try to make the most of the heat.

Cheers Alan

P.S just put the fan heater on to boost a little, getting soft in my old age :)

Many thanks to you all for your observations.
I am still undecided but it looks a bit like I would be well advised to go for a panel heater with a higher wattage. The effect I want is just what Neil and Alan say - background heat to keep things above freezing.
Any more ideas will be welcome before I go for it.
Cheers again.

SF

Well, I decided in the end that it would be more sensible to go for an oil-filled radiator/convector with several power settings from 500 watts to 3000 watts. That should take care of any circumstances and if I ever need a heater in an emergency in the house I have got the very thing on hand.
Only snag is......out of stock!
I will have to wait until next week for delivery. Just as well the weather has warmed up a bit.
Thanks for your ideas. Very helpful while I was deliberating.

SF

Back