electric hand planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a second hand electric hand planer and I notice that when when the wood passes over the blades it seems to catch on the output side. Is this a sign of worn blades or incorrect blades.
Looking side on and checking with a straight edge the blade edges just seem to be touching the straight edge.

What type of blades does it take? If it's the type you can regrind they could be set wrong, the disposable ones are normally self setting.

Are the blades sharp?

I always find electric hand planes a bit random, don't know if it's operator error but I have a Festool one and struggle to cut square with it.

Hard to tell without pictures but sounds like the blades are not set right. Being as its not new I would replace them. They are not expensive. There are many different blade arrangements and some have a setting jig to get them at the correct height. In general that is just a thow or so proud of the rear sole. Sounds like your catching is because the blades are set too low. There are lots of how to use electric plane videos so google some for the model you have.
Regards
John

We need a picture, they are normally self setting and cant go too far wrong but some are better than others. My old bosch one was a foolproof design wuich was indexed with no adjustment but my current Makita one has a sort of blade holding sub assembly that must be set up first.
This is for adjustment I guess but just adds room for error as both blades must be set up exactly right.

You need to look down the sole from the back and check the alignment, just like a normal hand plane really.

The thing is, a guy I used to work with managed to actually put his blades in backwards or perhaps upside down is the right term, than wondered why it was a bit rough !! So a lot depends on who you bought it from. The same bloke also thought 80 grit was a fine sandpaper !

Ollie

Latest posts

Back