Electric hammer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Might have been posted before but I've just seen this on facebook marketplace.

Take one poundshop hammer and an old non UK flex, glue the wire in the end and stick it up for sale at £15 where some silly person will buy it. :lol:

Attachments

• elec claw hammer.jpg
    elec claw hammer.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 660
45 years ago some wag at the company I worked for made an electric wire brush in much the same way, but using a UK mains plug. Gave it to the new African employee who was cleaning surface rust off a large steel fabrication. He claimed it worked well, but he may have been humouring the perpetrator.
I laughed along at the time, but I cringe with embarrassment remembering it now, as an example of the casual racism that was so prevalent back then.

John Brown":2cy85u6y said:
45 years ago some wag at the company I worked for made an electric wire brush in much the same way, but using a UK mains plug. Gave it to the new African employee who was cleaning surface rust off a large steel fabrication. He claimed it worked well, but he may have been humouring the perpetrator.
I laughed along at the time, but I cringe with embarrassment remembering it now, as an example of the casual racism that was so prevalent back then.

Was it casually racist? How many white, snot-nosed apprentices were sent to the stores for a long weight, or skyhooks,or a bag of sparks? It was a play on his lack of experience, not his colour.

I worry that the current political correctness means an enforced silence at every turn - especially when it comes to criticism. I wrote quite a bit more, but then deleted it precisely because of said political correctness. Self -censorship is the new freedom of speech.

Why was it racist? It wasn't racist when I was sent for a long wait when I was 16 and a Boy Entrant learning my trade as an aircraft eleky in the R.A.F. Nor was it racist for the other boys what ever their colour. But then again that was in 1960 and PC was someone you didn't want yer collar felt by and common sense ruled.

It would be a good thing to drop the PC bit here, stop hijacking this thread and getting back to electric hammers and the like me-thinks?

Trainee neophyte":2n9fz0lr said:
John Brown":2n9fz0lr said:

Was it casually racist? How many white, snot-nosed apprentices were sent to the stores for a long weight, or skyhooks,or a bag of sparks? It was a play on his lack of experience, not his colour.

I worry that the current political correctness means an enforced silence at every turn - especially when it comes to criticism. I wrote quite a bit more, but then deleted it precisely because of said political correctness. Self -censorship is the new freedom of speech.

John was there and you weren’t. It has stuck in his mind in a way that other apprentice pranks didn’t. It probably was racist. Fair play for mentioning it John.

My mum got me an electric razor along similar lines, a bic with a 13amp plug wedged on the end of it, she was very proud of her joke.

Jonzjob":2kvxlp76 said:
that's silly! Bic razors don't have a battery and if the plug was actually on the razor then how could you shave with it plugged into the wall? :? :?

Carefully.

Latest posts

Back