Electric chainsaw experience

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes(ish) but all those pro's will have several petrol saws too, and they'll see heavy use. The converse is not true. There are still plenty of guys who are petrol only.

It's still at the stage where battery only is not quite viable as a general purpose alternative for everyone.

But you are right that battery is an option for some householders in some circumstances. I'm not really sure it's as many as we think tho. A really good pruning saw (I mean good - a Silky costs more than the cheapest electric chainsaw) will deal with everything up to a decent size trunk or branch (say 5-6 inch) and a mains powered chainsaw is cheaper and more convenient for firewood.

A battery chainsaw is easy and a lot of fun tho :)
Agree - I think there is definitely a case of kit for job... I do know a couple of tree surgeons who are now entirely electric, but I suspect that their business is conveniently skewed to work which suits that...

It would be interesting to know whether the move to more robust electric kit has made it more accessible (starting a petrol chainsaw is 'fun' for those who are not used to it...) - I can see an attraction to the cleanliness and ease of electric kit that means it is more likely to be bought by householders...

Agree - I think there is definitely a case of kit for job... I do know a couple of tree surgeons who are now entirely electric, but I suspect that their business is conveniently skewed to work which suits that...

It would be interesting to know whether the move to more robust electric kit has made it more accessible (starting a petrol chainsaw is 'fun' for those who are not used to it...) - I can see an attraction to the cleanliness and ease of electric kit that means it is more likely to be bought by householders...
Fair points all!

I have recently bought a Husqvarna 540i XP... they claimed it would be as good as a 40cc petrol. It is, I am blown away by the ease of use, power and cutting speed. Only problem is the price!
Highly recommended.

I have recently bought a Husqvarna 540i XP... they claimed it would be as good as a 40cc petrol. It is, I am blown away by the ease of use, power and cutting speed. Only problem is the price!
Highly recommended.
Ouch, that price hurts! Should come down tho...hopefully. :) It does look a serious bit of kit

Mind me asking what you use it for, how long do get from it and how long does a charge take?

Ouch, that price hurts! Should come down tho...hopefully. :) It does look a serious bit of kit

Mind me asking what you use it for, how long do get from it and how long does a charge take?
So far I have been using it cutting a big oak Butt I found on the side of the road, taking down some ash trees and cutting them for firewood, cutting up some pallets and plywood cases up. It lasts long enough to do plenty! then about 45 / 60 minutes clearing while it recharges.

Attachments

• 4F50A2F5-D2AD-447F-B24F-29C7636257A7.jpeg
    4F50A2F5-D2AD-447F-B24F-29C7636257A7.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 22
So far I have been using it cutting a big oak Butt I found on the side of the road, taking down some ash trees and cutting them for firewood, cutting up some pallets and plywood cases up. It lasts long enough to do plenty! then about 45 / 60 minutes clearing while it recharges.
Wow, thats getting to be a serious option. I might have to change my mind about battery saws :unsure:

thanks.

Latest posts

Back