electra beckum or perform planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

is the electra beckum hc260 worth the extra money?????

the tables are finished better and the motor is an eltra one but is it worth the extra £200.
axminster have it on offer at the moment.

aleks

thanks in advance

kostello,
I have the perform unit, I am very pleased with it. :D
What usage will you putting the machine to :?: I am only a 'hobby' woodworker :( so none of my tools are used every day all day. Most of them are not rated as trade and while they cope well with the use I make of them :) I would not want to be making my living with them full time. :?

I have said this before on this forum this type of machine needs a dust collector, it is not self clearing due to the guards and safety interlocks that are part of the design, so if you don't have one this will be an extra cost :evil: . It gets worse! I have a cheap Nutool dust collector which chokes :twisted: on the long shavings that the machine makes when machining wide timber. I am building a cyclone dust collector. Look round here there are a number of threads about them on this site.

The electra looks very simlar to the perform, but the spec is higher, Axminster recomend a 16A supply, do you have this in your workshop :?:

I don't know any one with the elecra, I hope someone else on the forum may be able to give an owners view point.
I am off to throw another bucket of shavings into the wood burner I filled the dust collecter using the perform this afternoon :lol:

thanks very much for the info.
i'm not going to be using it every day so it hasn't got to have an industrial rating but i do want something that is built to last.

the record select planer is very similar to the perform and the record website forum seems to be full of niggles, mainly about poor setup at the factory.

i do need to get a proper dust extractor too. one of the things that are leading me towards the perform machine is that i could get an extractor with the money i save.

can i ask what volume of air your extractor moves as i have no idea about what is an adequate size ( other than big is better)

thanks

aleks

I had a look at most of these machines at the Alexander Palace Show & I couldn't see much difference at all. I felt the most important aspect was the accuracy of setting up the fence and tables to get a square face side & edge. None seemed any better than the others, as all the adjusting systems were the same.

i ordered the perform macjhine and a 1200m3 extracter on wednerday and it arrived on friday.
yesterday i got to play.

i think the only thing that could bug me is the fence as you mentioned.
it twists if you push on it too hard and is a pain the set up square.

but i can get my stock straight and square with ease now.

i'm very excited.

i don't know why i never got one before!!???

aleks

PS anyone want 50 gallons of iroko shavings??

I would have to say that buying a cheap copy of a well known machine would seem to make good sense, as long as there isn't anything actually wrong with the clone. I suppose with a planer/thicknesser the things I would want to know are 'are the in and out tables flat, and does the thicknesser bed stay parallel worth the cutter block? As long as those things are ok then probably any other problems such as wobbly fence can probably be fixed by the user

John

For what it's worth, I've just bought an Electra band saw and I think the quality for the money I paid is fantastic.

Richard

just so you know.
i got the perform one.
its more than adequate for what i'm going to be using it for.
although one of the bristol locking levers broke the first time i used it and the fence was bent.
both of these were replaced within 3 days.
overall i'm very happy with it.

aleks

Back