Electra Beckum HC260 - keeps blowing fuses!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic.Watson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After extensive googling, I'm struggling to find the answer and hoping one of you guys may be able to help.
I've got an Electra Beckum HC260C and almost every time I use it, I blow at least one fuse in the plug, sometimes 2-3 in trying to get it started. It's in my workshop at the end of the garden which has a 3-core, 6mm2 armoured cable run of about 60m to power it and I'm assuming this may have something to do with it. Whenever it starts up, it starts spinning but then dies out after a few seconds as the fuse blows. It feels like it's to do with the fact that there's a significant power draw on startup and then when the motor starts spinning, and acts like a generator, it surges and that's what causes the fuse to blow. It does make the lights etc. in the workshop pulse with the rotations as it powers down so it's definitely got some weight behind it.
Do I need to do something to smooth out the power, if so, what? Or is it something where if I increased the size of the fuse from 13A slightly it would stop the issue as long as I don't exceed the MCB?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Nic

Sounds like your power supply is a bit poor. The machine has an induction motor - which doesn't like being run off a long cable that can create a significant voltage drop. As an experiment, I'd try plugging it in to known good power socket in the house and see if it's more reliable.

Actually, just spotted this thread - 16amp single phase table saw
Given that I'm just in the process of re-wiring everything (with a sparky mate checking it) I think I'll swap out the current 13a plug for a 16A and run a separate 16A spur off the MCB in the cabin. I got the machine 'nearly new' so have no idea how it was used before with the 13a supply unless they just got through a lot of fuses!

Last edited:
Can you provide more info like, has this machine worked correctly before and using the same power socket and cable/plug ? Has it recently started doing this? At this moment I wouldn't change a thing as you need to find the route cause first.

It's always been the same since I got it. It came fitted with a 13A socket and has always taken a few fuses to get going. I've just been looking through the manual and it's rated at 16A so that definitely seems to be the issue!

Few, I'm glad you found the manual and it says its a 16amp rated machine. I've just read an old article from Woodworkers Institute who tested your model in 2008. It doesn't refer to the fuse rating but the testers comment was that the two pin plug can be installed the wrong way and starting issues happened until he realised that he had it the wrong way. This might be helpful.

Based on what you have said be aware that some machine motors require a Type C mcb in the consumer unit. This holds in breaker in place for a longer period whilst the motor gets going. If you have a type B mcb, which is normal, and it keeps tripping on start up, it's likely that a type c is required.

Hope this helps

I had exactly the same. The power draw was so high, if the fuse didn’t blow first time it would blow second or if lucky, 3rd time. Never any longer.

I ran a separate 16A spur to it and never had a problem since.

Actually, just spotted this thread - 16amp single phase table saw
Given that I'm just in the process of re-wiring everything (with a sparky mate checking it) I think I'll swap out the current 13a plug for a 16A and run a separate 16A spur off the MCB in the cabin. I got the machine 'nearly new' so have no idea how it was used before with the 13a supply unless they just got through a lot of fuses!
That's what mine needed.

Great stuff, thanks guys. I do have a Type B for the workshop at the moment but I'll try the separate 16A spur and see if that improves things. If not, I may have to switch to a type C but unfortunately it's running off a spur from the main MCB for the house so it'd probably mean replacing that too so it may go on the 'too difficult, let it eat fuses' pile!

Great stuff, thanks guys. I do have a Type B for the workshop at the moment but I'll try the separate 16A spur and see if that improves things. If not, I may have to switch to a type C but unfortunately it's running off a spur from the main MCB for the house so it'd probably mean replacing that too so it may go on the 'too difficult, let it eat fuses' pile!
Ah. Agree. I had a 30A feed to the garage, new dist bd in garage with 16A fuse and it was fine.
I thought it expensive at the time, but .... worth it for the nuisance value?

I had a spindle moulder that I bought second hand, it had a 13amp plug on, always worked fine.

One day I decided to change the battered old plug for a nice new black rubber one. Inside the old plug I found a blown 13amp fuse with a piece of 15amp fuse wire next to it 🙄 My electrician laughed and referred to it as "an old farmers trick", he said it was probably blowing 13amp fuses on start up so someone had "upgraded" the plug to 15amps 🧐

Obviously I'm not recommending this as a fix!

I'm a little nervous on your behalf. You say you're repeatedly blowing 13A cartridge fuses in the plug, on a circuit which is protected by a 16A MCB. I am surprised that the MCB isn't tripping first (fuses are slower by comparison). I think you would be very wise to get a spark to look at the whole circuit - including the earthing and circuit impedances.

Hi all,

After extensive googling, I'm struggling to find the answer and hoping one of you guys may be able to help.
I've got an Electra Beckum HC260C and almost every time I use it, I blow at least one fuse in the plug, sometimes 2-3 in trying to get it started. It's in my workshop at the end of the garden which has a 3-core, 6mm2 armoured cable run of about 60m to power it and I'm assuming this may have something to do with it. Whenever it starts up, it starts spinning but then dies out after a few seconds as the fuse blows. It feels like it's to do with the fact that there's a significant power draw on startup and then when the motor starts spinning, and acts like a generator, it surges and that's what causes the fuse to blow. It does make the lights etc. in the workshop pulse with the rotations as it powers down so it's definitely got some weight behind it.
Do I need to do something to smooth out the power, if so, what? Or is it something where if I increased the size of the fuse from 13A slightly it would stop the issue as long as I don't exceed the MCB?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Nic

Your 60 metres of 3 core 6.0mm SWA will only take 22 amps / 5Kw before exceeding the permited 4% volt drop. These are only rough calcs but will give you an idea. What size MCB is protecting this cable at the supply end, the total impedance of the CPC may be an issue.

Latest posts

Back