Eisteddfod Bardic chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aled Dafis

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a miniature Eisteddfod Bardic chair I've just finished. For those of you unaware of Eisteddfodau, they're a traditional cultural competition held throughout Wales where people compete in singing, reciting and of course writing poetry. There's more info in wikipedia if you're interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisteddfod

DSC_9430.jpg

The chair is laminated from 1.5mm birch ply and is about 10" tall by 4 1/2" wide, and the name of the Chapel where this eisteddfod is held and the year laser engraved.

Cheers
Aled

There's something captivating about the flow and simplicity of the lines, beautiful in its simplicity.

CHJ":2s8usmbm said:
There's something captivating about the flow and simplicity of the lines, beautiful in its simplicity.

Chas, you did say it was 'simple' didn't you? :D

I find these miniature things are a swine because all the minute faults show up rather more than a full size piece and you have to be exact with everything you do.

Andy

Lovely work! Have you put a finish on this piece? BTW there is also the craft and design competiton (£5000 first prize), Steve Howlett won it for woodturning a few years back. I was thinking of entering this year with an inlaid table I made, but decided against it as I wasn't happy with the outcome. Has anyone entered it this year? Kind regards, Dan.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I totally agree Andy, getting these fiddly little jobs to the right standard is a lot more work than people think! I've made a few of these over the past couple of years, the first four or five were from solid beech, but I find that the laminated ply gives a cleaner look and suits the design better (and they're a bit quicker to make).

Harrison85, yes I finished it in lemon oil to maintain the pale colour of the birch and then gave it a light waxing with microcrystaline wax to give it that smooth touchy feely finish.

Cheers
Aled

Back