Einhell sc sb 200 or burgess BK3 plus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAMMERHEAD

Reaction score
Hi. Im just starting out an need advice.
Which of the above 3 are better.. i would like the deeper throat on the burgess but it no biggy... i just need a more robust and availability of spares... price of both second hand are the same.
Thanks evryone.

Burgess tool company appears to have been dissolved but it could be that another company has licenced the design/brand so if your concern is spares availability then do some digging.
Einhell have the feel of a badge engineering out fit so that might spares from look alike machines will fit.

Just something to add to the mix, this is a very small bandsaw and you have not mentioned your objectives so do you need a bandsaw or would a scroll saw meet your objectives?

Thanks for the replies lads...
Its just for basic trinket box, cigar box, shelving etc..... i have a very small workshop at mo ( although have hoping to extend or construct a bigger one soon) ... i have a sliding compund mitre saw, circular rip saw, drill press, bench belt/ spindle sander, bench grinder, but no table saw ( as of yet and dont think there's much room) so needed something that can also rip down some lengths of timber...i no its not ideal but limited at mo...
So basicly i need something robust, easy to use/ maintain/ repair. And wont regret buying in couple weeks..
Ive been offered both second hand and both £70... both in very very good almost immaculate condition... the burgess also comes with the conversion kit.
Anything particular i need to look out for on both?...as i say, im new to woodworking and its going to be basicly hobbying, but if i can make a couple quid here and there that would be great.
Hope that helps a tad and thanks again for very quick replies lads.

Thats the scoll saw out of the equation, and not sure that such a small bandsaw will meet your needs when it comes to " rip down some lengths of timber " , although that will depend upon the actual size you have in mind. For me once I have made the cut on my bandsaw I run it through a thicknesser to clean up and give the final dimension. If I just want to rip down some 4 by 2's at 45° then I use my table saw. I gather you are like many of us and are having to make the best use of limited space but with careful thought it is posible, there have been some good threads on this subject about fitting castors to make things maneuverable and the heights so you can feed work through one machine and it clears others.

Thats the scoll saw out of the equation, and not sure that such a small bandsaw will meet your needs when it comes to " rip down some lengths of timber " , although that will depend upon the actual size you have in mind. For me once I have made the cut on my bandsaw I run it through a thicknesser to clean up and give the final dimension. If I just want to rip down some 4 by 2's at 45° then I use my table saw. I gather you are like many of us and are having to make the best use of limited space but with careful thought it is posible, there have been some good threads on this subject about fitting castors to make things maneuverable and the heights so you can feed work through one machine and it clears others.
Thank you again SPECTRIC. Some good advice there.
Yes i am very limited with space at mo, and that is another item i wish to purchase aswell ( a thicknesser/planer) so im looking out for a suitable ( i need to do some research) table top one of these aswell, as it will probably be put away under the work bench and pulled back out as when needed.
The max ripping thickness for the band saw will probably be no thicker than 1"- 1½" as long as i take my time and let the blade do all the work...
Further down the line i may get something like a dewalt 745 table top table saw.. ???

Table saws need not take up much needed space, when I am not using mine I wind the blade down out the way and lay a MDF board on top so it now becomes a usable work area, like having a second bench. With blades look at getting some from Tuffsaws as they may cost a bit more and you would benefit from Ians premium blades that have a thiner section so can be tensioned better.

I have a Burgess BBS20, it is not a workhorse. However I have successfully sliced 75mm Utile, 28mm Oak, and50mm Sycamore down to 3mm, all in the region of 750mm lengths. In all cases it took time and patience. All the cuts needed planing to a finish. Within reason a long cut can be made with a table saw providing the blade does not object, or the wood starts charring,
Bandsaws of this size are not capable of that sort of cut. When the cut is pushed the blade will try to find the path of least resistance. They will work, albeit slowly, if used carefully and the position of the timber with regard to the cutting edge of the blade is constantly monitored.
By the way I did know a boat builder who uses a BBS20 to cut the long side planking for two man sailing dingies.
HTH
geoff

Back