Einhell or Excel budget Plunge Saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSPete

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for some advice.

Has anyone any experience with either the Excel plunge saw

Excel 165mm Plunge Saw 240V with Aluminium Guide Rail 1.5m

Or the Einhell TE-PS 165 Plunge saw?

Einhell TE-PS 165 1200W Plunge Saw

I am looking to buy a plunge saw and unfortunately neither the budget or need isn’t there for a Festool (I have had the use of a Festool on loan so suspect I have been spoilt..)

These two have caught my eye as affordable budget sensible versions though I can find out little about them. The Excel is a tool4trade “own” brand and has the advantage of a 1400W motor plus a 1.5mtr track included in this price. Track appears to be a clone of the Festool standard. Little else information wise appears to available other than the advert on tools4trade. No reviews or anything that I can find so far…

The Einhell has more information and reviews, if you speak German, which I think are relatively favourable. It has a 1200W motor and its guide rails are currently out of stock in the UK. They appear to be similar to the DeWalt pattern rail (and I understand the DeWalt rail would work…..)

I would really like to hear if anyone has any experience with either of them?

My initial choice was the Einhell as I felt the German company seemed to have reasonable information about the tools including spares details and what I think are reasonably positibve reviews on YouTube (in German).

However the Excel has a couple of things in its favour. Namely power, track availability and commonality.

I suspect both are Chinese built though as Einhell show parts list for it maybe not the problem I have experienced with Triton of no spares availability. And it is the Triton lack of support and backup that makes me nervous of Excel.

Anyway any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Check out Peter Millards video (I think it was called Festool or cheap tool) he looks at the cheap offering from Screwfix.

Thanks Bill, I think I have seen that one. If it was the Screwfix offering it was the Titan one which they no longer seem to carry. In some way that is a blessing in disguise! My luck with Titan products to date has not been great.
Check out Peter Millards video (I think it was called Festool or cheap tool) he looks at the cheap offering from Screwfix.

I bought a Macallister track/plunge saw from Screwfix for £99 - does the job (2 x 700mm rails that join together pretty accurately) - the one thing that's poor is dust extraction (connected to a cyclone and Henry)

I too have the Mac Alistair one from Screwfix but unlike @robgul I found the fence to be somewhat lacking. It will only join strait with 2 specific ends (might be normal for tracks)

I only noticed this after a few cuts came out not strait.

Being in 2 700m lengths is handy though for use on my MFT with a coupon track dogs.

However the saw is pretty decent and great at 90° but don't tilt to 45° things will go south. Totally willing to admit that it could well be user error.

Don't suppose you ended up buying the excel? It looks like the same model as the Lumberjack one and that has plenty of good reviews on amazon. Think i'm going to take a punt on it.

Anyone know about Excel tools in general.

Thinking I could buy a cheap 150mm sander and leave it at our lodge?

Also like thier 1/4" trimmer router which would come in handy generaly.

Rather than a cheap tracksaw you may be better of with a length of angle Iron and a skill saw. That is how I worked for many years and probably better results than a cheaper tracksaw with poorly aligned rails. For £84 you can have Makita HS6601 1050W 165mm Electric Circular Saw 240V

and then a decent length of angle and away you go, it is more involved in setting it up but it works. I now have a 110volt Makita tracksaw which is great, it's big advantage is having a rail square and then setup is a breeze but will cost more.

Have had various tools made by Einhell for Lidl etc as well as Einhell themselves. There good for the price and suitable for light to medium use. Not sure re spares availability for older models though.

Don't discount the Erbauer if the cash is a bit tight, I have one and once I got used to using a track saw in limited space it works fine. No bells and whistles, no badge to polish, just a tool that does what it's supposed to, a bit plasticky but at this price, you get what you pay for. I covered the blade access aperture with masking tape and the extraction works fine. The only downside is the blade size, they are readily available but you do have to shop around. This opinion of course is written as a diy'er not a contractor, so the tool hasn't been and never will get hammered.

I haven't the money for a track saw and rails so made one of these diy rails to use with my circular saw I already had, works great

Latest posts

Back