Egg cups

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally managed to get a couple of hours workshop time this morning, so figured I would give the O'Donnell jaws that I got at Xmas a try.
For my first ever go at hollowing, I thought an egg cup would be ideal, so I dug out some old pallet pine (all I've got) and set to work.
Lots of catches later, I got the following, which just as I was about done, suffered a fatal catch.

c65a66fa.jpg

This is the second attempt:

43e45433.jpg

Still a bit rough, but better.

My main problem seems to be starting hollowing cuts with the bowl gouge. The scraper saved me..

Si

Did you drill a hole to the required egg cup depth before starting to use the gouge ,

also what degree bevel angle were you using ?

and were you using push forward cuts or pull cuts ?

Err, no drill, I pushed the gouge into middle for a hole.
For bevel shape, see my sharpening thread from this morning.
Push - that's probably part of my problem.

Si

Knappers, you are obviously hollowing into the end grain of your chosen timber. I find it is much easier in end grain to use a "pull cut" from the centre to the outside. Drill a hole with the spindle gouge (on dead centre and horizontal to the bed) and just push it into the timber to the required cup depth. Have the flute of the gouge turned towards you with the lower (cutting) edge at about 7 o'clock and starting from the centre, just push the handle away from you to make an arcing cut. It is much more manageable and you can get a really good finish.
Best of luck.
Fred.

harris":3dfd79rp said:
Knappers, you are obviously hollowing into the end grain of your chosen timber. I find it is much easier in end grain to use a "pull cut" from the centre to the outside. Drill a hole with the spindle gouge (on dead centre and horizontal to the bed) and just push it into the timber to the required cup depth. Have the flute of the gouge turned towards you with the lower (cutting) edge at about 7 o'clock and starting from the centre, just push the handle away from you to make an arcing cut. It is much more manageable and you can get a really good finish.
Best of luck.
Fred.

I don't think he is hollowing into the end grain on these...

My appologies to Fred, and others - once glass less might have saved me such embarassment (homer)

I do :mrgreen: that's why the grain is running vertizontically :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Are you doing the hollowing after you have formed the outside? If so then that is why the first one went bang.. Turn it the same way as you do a goblet. After all that's all it is. Well it is if you drink less winw than I do :wink: :roll: :wink:

Second one does look better and it don't look easy wood to use either =D>

Edit : - Just as a matter of interest, do you know how to tell the difference between a boiled egg and a raw one? 8)

I hollowed the inside before shaping the outside. It is truly rubbish wood, I'll admit.

Si

nice flowing curves on the eggcup, a well balanced shape and as the er... cutaway view shows , quite a consistent wall thickness.
i agree that pulling is a lot easier than pushing on the end grain esp. on smaller objects but that said i think if it were decent wood it probably wouldnt have exploded in the first place.

Jonzjob":2m3ytw2l said:
Edit : - Just as a matter of interest, do you know how to tell the difference between a boiled egg and a raw one? 8)

Spin the egg on a surface, touch the middle to stop the spin and let go quickly, if it then continues to turn - it is raw. If it stays still it is a boiled one. :wink:

Alli":3dknsdut said:
Jonzjob":3dknsdut said:

Spin the egg on a surface, touch the middle to stop the spin and let go quickly, if it then continues to turn - it is raw. If it stays still it is a boiled one. :wink:

I thought you cupped the egg in your hand and sharply tapped it against you forehead

If it does not break it is raw ( Shell not affected by boiling ) if it does break ( Shell affected by boiling ) its because its hard boiled and ready to eat !

Attempt number three, tonight.
Tried some better wood and a faster speed.

ad851b9e.jpg

338b6ea6.jpg

Still some big catches... Had to cut the end off and re-hollow twice, also the base ended up smaller than planned due to another one.
I will get there, I'm sure.
Will probably also look for a face shield, I think, as these with these catches, something's going to happen eventually, and I already have a sore lip from a glancing blow before.

Si

Alli":1tbh2gee said:
Jonzjob":1tbh2gee said:

Nearly Alli. If you try to spin a raw egg it will almost come to a stop when you let go, but a boiled egg will spin quite freely. That's because when you try to spin the raw egg the innerds don't keep pup with the shell. If you were to use something other than your hand, a drill with a soft end for instance, then your conclusion would be true 'cause once the innerds are spinning they won't stop :mrgreen: And who said you never learn owt new on 'ere :roll:

A better finish on 3 Si, but you will never get in the English cricket team if you continue to get good catches :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Make sure that 1. the tool is on the rest before contact and 2. you start the cut by rubbing the bevel and slowly raise the handle to bring the cutting edhe into contact with the wood.. 3. if you can remember that all of the time then please tell me how you did :oops:

No. 3 was mostly hollowed using pull cuts and a scraper. Any attempt to bevel rub and push cut just resulted in catchville.

Si.

Jonzjob said:
Alli said:
Jonzjob said:
Nearly Alli. If you try to spin a rae egg it will almost come to a stop when you let fo, but a boiled egg will spin quite freely. That's because when you try to spin the raw egg the innerds don't keep pu with the shell. If you were to use something other than your hand, a drill with a soft end for instance, then your conclusion would be true 'cause once the innerds are spinning they won't stop :mrgreen: And who said you never learn owt new on 'ere :roll:
quote]

Not a wind up, and you don't need a drill, spin it like you would a coin, and then stop it......it does work!! I have used it in anger when some visiting kids wound me up by putting all the boiled eggs back in the carton, I found them all! :D

Jonzjob":3pus1ejs said:
Alli":3pus1ejs said:
Jonzjob":3pus1ejs said:

Nearly Alli. If you try to spin a raw egg it will almost come to a stop when you let go, but a boiled egg will spin quite freely. That's because when you try to spin the raw egg the innerds don't keep pup with the shell. If you were to use something other than your hand, a drill with a soft end for instance, then your conclusion would be true 'cause once the innerds are spinning they won't stop :mrgreen: And who said you never learn owt new on 'ere :roll:

:oops:

This principle was used in The Day of the Jackel- filling the end of the bullets with mercury to make them "explode" on impact

Latest posts

Back