Education

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
My 5 year old daughter was awarded Star of the week at her school last week. The reason????

"Exellence in literacy"

Not so the person who filled out the certificate.

I hope she is happy - in spite of the spelling mistake!

Bit of a weird thing to write on a Reception / Year one age certificate don't you think? Maybe for writing a poem or describing a character - then you can have a chat with her and find out what she did.

My son would struggle to even pronounce that - let alone know what he did to earn it!

It's all about the phonics at that age, so the mistake is allowed :p

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

whiskywill" "Exellence in literacy" Not so the person who filled out the certificate.[/quote said:
I went to my lad's junior school one day with a letter sent by them with all the spelling mistakes and syntax errors marked. I handed it to the secretary just as the headmaster (whom I knew fairly well to speak to) walked in. Good morning, Mr. P, what's that? She handed it to him. A quick look. Oh God, that should never ever have been sent out, should it?

As an ex-teacher, I (regretably) could cite chapter and verse re spellings and grammar...we used to get the 'proofs' of the school mag in our common room and see who could get to 10 first...usually took less than a cuppa...

My especial hate: "criteria" used to describe a single item...."Criterion"!!!!

Sophist* Sam.

*a paid teacher of philosophy and rhetoric in Greece in the Classical and Hellenistic periods.

In the midst of gcse revision this year, I worked with my son through sample English papers. They make available the papers and the marking scheme used by the examiners, online.
Over three papers we worked through, I found several clear errors. I can't remember them all, but one was a multiple choice in which you had to select a definition of 'correlation' and the correct answer was, apparently, where one thing influences another (actually closer to 'causation', and very different); another question asked us to 'synthesise texts c, d and e' - we looked together at length and couldn't find enough in common to allow synthesis and after we'd had enough, we looked at the mark sheet and it became clear that the question meant something like 'synthesise c, d and e, each in turn - don't try to synthesise all three together'.
I was surprised that such issues had made their way into an exam that could change the future of someone's career. When you're struggling to get the C grade you need to carry on studying in the school, every mark matters!

oo errr - something like 'make connections between c,d and e that draw them together'...

And it was clear from the marking scheme what they really meant was something like 'summarise'.

I've always appreciated the fact that Phonics is not spelled with an F.
(hammer)

Pneumonia?
Gnome?
Knuckle?

Just sayin'...there are lotsa 'silent' letter words out there too, apart from classical spellings...

My favourite in spelling/pronounciation dislocation is Jerry Durrell's " Cholmondley St. John"....a.k.a. "Chumly Sinjun"

Sam

Cheshirechappie":3796gp6s said:
Bm101":3796gp6s said:
I've always appreciated the fact that Phonics is not spelled with an F.
(hammer)

There's no 'F' in justice, either ....
Legendary Comment Achievement: Unlocked.

She had a small amount of homework to do this past weekend. There was a list of questions with the statement "Answers in capitols please."

I would assume it was written by the same teacher who completed the certificate.

I used to go into my son's infant school with a few other parents to sit for a half an hour and read with the children. One morning the young woman teacher wrote a piece of appalling English on the board and I just happened to look across the room to see an older T.A. roll her eyes. She came over to me afterwards and said it's dreadful, this is a daily occurrence - it's not my place to correct her, but I have had a word about it. No one is interested.
This by the way is an extremely good school, at which both my children excelled.

Back