Ed's new toolbox

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like Head Clansman I made my boxes in the 70s. It was virtually the first thing you had to make as an apprentice but you had to use dovetails for the joints. I made two boxes, one for the shop to keep all the big stuff in (jack planes, hand saws etc) and a smaller one to take out to jobs. As with H c both painted black with my name on them. Still got them now but most of the tools have migrated to my bench.

Dex[/b]

Nice job Ed. I made one as an apprentice like a few others.. mine was dovetailed with 1 1/2" panel pins and held together with cascamite. Mine weighed about 120kg... and then when i put my tools in about 130. :p

Lovely Ed, Glad you found the fittings. I really like that. Will also be taking from ideas from it.

Boz

Very nice indeed, Ed.

I could do with one of those for carrying all my site tools around with...

...except I've found this excellent bloke called Karl who now does pretty well all our fitting work for us!

I need never take a tool out of the workshop again!

:lol:

Brad

hi ed

this is my tool chest , getting more than full.

showing lower level with planes

PDR_2221.jpg

with all three sliding draws so full they cannot slide any more

PDR_2214.jpg

saw hung up to make more room

PDR_2220.jpg

the next three showing drawers out of the chest

PDR_2222.jpg

PDR_2218.jpg

PDR_2217.jpg

need a new cabinete soon which is ongoing at the mo . hc

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=36306

BradNaylor":31b1lfzw said:
Very nice indeed, Ed.

...except I've found this excellent bloke called Karl who now does pretty well all our fitting work for us!

Brad

Well thats lateral thinking on the need for a toolbox! I'd made the mental step to the need for a 'better toolbox' but not designing out the toolbox altogether. Karl...the thinking mans toolbox :lol:

Ed

BradNaylor":15dvwvvb said:
Very nice indeed, Ed.

Brad

:lol: Nice one Brad.

Except I need a few more tools than those in Ed's toolbox - where does he fit the chopsaw :-k

Nice work Ed - LN 5 1/2 for site use - my kinda toolbox!

Cheers

Karl

EdSutton":2rkjmqe0 said:
big soft moose":2rkjmqe0 said:
how heavy is it ? - manageable in one hand ?

Just got on the bathroom scales with it...35KG, so no not really manageable in one hand for any distance. The side handles and wheels are essential in my view.

Ed

I do dumbell flys with two 30kg weights at the gym :D

Really liking this, added to the ever growing "to-do" list.

well done that man!

Steve

Rknott2007":1yldlljw said:
EdSutton":1yldlljw said:
big soft moose":1yldlljw said:
how heavy is it ? - manageable in one hand ?

Just got on the bathroom scales with it...35KG, so no not really manageable in one hand for any distance. The side handles and wheels are essential in my view.

Ed

I do dumbell flys with two 30kg weights at the gym :D

I'm not sure I even know what that means, but I know I wouldn't want to walk far carrying this, even with 2 hands!

Ed

To put the weight in perspective returning from our last trip to Florida, the largest suitcase we had (about the size of a Smart car) weighed 24 kg and the check in staff didn't appreciate it much :lol:

Back