Quantcast

Edit Function

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
Why has the edit function timer been re-enabled? For example, If I want to go and amend my nearly a-year-old post about circular saws to include new information or if Phil wants to add more tool post measurements to his sticky we no longer can do that. If this about sebg's actions with his deleting all his own postings I don't see why the rest of the forum has to suffer for it. If you're quietly trying to put it back as a monetarily accessed feature of the forum I would regard that as seriously underhanded and sly, so I would appreciate some clarification.

Also, on a side note, it's been a month since the takeover now and things are still a little too vague for me, we've been promised a new moderator team since the start and thus far I haven't seen any real progress towards that.

MikeG.

Damocles.
Reaction score
I think it's a poor decision, as I said in another thread:

.....For a start, it's a requirement of the forum rules that you edit the title of a For Sale post when your item is sold. Secondly, in long WIPs it's useful to be able to edit the title to show that an update has been added. This happens all the time in shed build threads, for instance. DBT85's thread, for instance, now has "cladding going on" as part of the title, which clearly indicates that he has updated with a post about cladding. It would be a shame to lose this important function because of one case of abuse. Baby and bathwater, and all that......

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
For the very few that go back in to edit an old thread why not message a mod so they can open it for you or just add it to the end of the thread? I've been on a few forums where someone gets their knickers in a knot and leaves after deleting everything they ever posted. Wrecks far too many threads.

Pete

AJB Temple

Finely figured
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Angie - please return this so that we are not time constrained. It is really useful for those of us who post long build threads - which members love.

A blunt instrument has been used (with zero transparency again) to deal with just one poster being silly.

Thanks, Adrian

MikeG.

Damocles.
Reaction score
Angie hasn't been about since Tuesday. Maybe they've bought another forum which has grabbed her attention away from us for a while.

Blackswanwood

Established Member
Reaction score
It does feel a bit random the way the site is being run now. The improved functionality is great and in fairness to Angie there are quite a few things she has acted on quickly to tweak this when requested. The moderator issue feels odd and unless I have missed it after a request to compile views on selling items it’s all gone quiet?

I’m also unsure what the underlying model is. Has the site been taken over by a commercial enterprise or a not for profit organisation that just likes running forums? Unless anything untoward happens I suppose it doesn’t really matter and I don’t object either way - it would just be good to know.

In another thread Angie‘s moderating was complimented and I wouldn’t take anything away from that. It does feel to me though that the current Covid thread is being run on the basis if you are offended use the ignore feature. I agree this should be the case if it’s an issue of avoiding being irritated. Getting into the value of life risks offending people though which I thought was against the rules. (sorry if I have gone off topic)

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Angie hasn't been about since Tuesday.
That's not true. Her last post might have been on Tuesday, but I've been on the UKW several times a day every day this week, and Angie was online each time. She was online about ten minutes before you made this post.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Angie - please return this so that we are not time constrained. It is really useful for those of us who post long build threads - which members love.

A blunt instrument has been used (with zero transparency again) to deal with just one poster being silly.

Thanks, Adrian
I'll look into it Adrian. And it was a reaction to bad use of that feature. We don't usually have it as open as I had it here.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Angie hasn't been about since Tuesday. Maybe they've bought another forum which has grabbed her attention away from us for a while.
Mike, I've been on everyday. But I am on at different times, and I don't post every time I'm online.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It does feel a bit random the way the site is being run now. The improved functionality is great and in fairness to Angie there are quite a few things she has acted on quickly to tweak this when requested. The moderator issue feels odd and unless I have missed it after a request to compile views on selling items it’s all gone quiet?

I’m also unsure what the underlying model is. Has the site been taken over by a commercial enterprise or a not for profit organisation that just likes running forums? Unless anything untoward happens I suppose it doesn’t really matter and I don’t object either way - it would just be good to know.

In another thread Angie‘s moderating was complimented and I wouldn’t take anything away from that. It does feel to me though that the current Covid thread is being run on the basis if you are offended use the ignore feature. I agree this should be the case if it’s an issue of avoiding being irritated. Getting into the value of life risks offending people though which I thought was against the rules. (sorry if I have gone off topic)
A bit random right now. I'm trying to adapt to British and what this really was and not just what some are telling me it was. It takes time.

The site is taken over by a fellow that has forums, and I help him. He keeps them running and the ads do add a bit to basic income, nothing to write home about.

And we have not added any more forums, but there is a lot that goes on in the background that pertains to various things. You are all special, but not the only ones special and I was dealing with a couple of problems elsewhere last week.

Do I need to make a post every day so you know I'm here and you valued? You are but I'm trying not to interfere with your wood working talk.

As to mods. We are working on it in the background. Hope to have some news on that front soon.

Hopefully by next weekend, we will have at least one new mod a couple are under consideration.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Since I'm rather lazy tonight - is there one forum where the projects are posted? The ones that need updates?

Never mind, it was hiding in plain sight.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
You now have 2 years to edit in Projects.
You now have 2 months to edit in For Sale
Rest of it is 2 weeks to edit, and Supporting Members do get a little longer as a thank you for supporting.

IF it is abused, I will make a post and change it to a much less time frame.

Blackswanwood

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit random right now. I'm trying to adapt to British and what this really was and not just what some are telling me it was. It takes time.

The site is taken over by a fellow that has forums, and I help him. He keeps them running and the ads do add a bit to basic income, nothing to write home about.

And we have not added any more forums, but there is a lot that goes on in the background that pertains to various things. You are all special, but not the only ones special and I was dealing with a couple of problems elsewhere last week.

Do I need to make a post every day so you know I'm here and you valued? You are but I'm trying not to interfere with your wood working talk.

As to mods. We are working on it in the background. Hope to have some news on that front soon.

Hopefully by next weekend, we will have at least one new mod a couple are under consideration.
Thank you Angie.

toolsntat

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, really cannot believe we had so much trouble with the edit function in 112000+ threads that it deemed limiting the option for 18000+ members.
Andy

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
While I appreciate the token gesture, I personally don’t think it’ll work for the forum. Some of the threads that are continually being updated are over the two years old threshold and aren’t in the ‘projects’ section such as Phil’s toolpost thread in the lathes section which is over four years old. The two-week limit wouldn’t have stopped Seb from mangling his threads either as he has only just been a member for that long.

I’m sorry Angie, but the action taken now is just badly thought out without much consideration for the community.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
Wasn't there another post here earlier today about someone not being able to edit their own thread?

ManowarDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Trevanion,

That was me. Noel got in touch via conversation and edited my thread title for me. He then deleted my post. He did advise that he would in the conversation.

Dave

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
Bah humbug, I was going to add a couple of books I've picked up to my list but consequently I no longer can because it doesn't allow me to edit the main post 😣

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
@Trevanion, drop me a line with what you want added and I'll edit your list.