Edinburgh/West Lothian/Fife Woodturning Club

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Thank you all for the supportive comments.

I will come back to any of those who have offered support if I need it.

No doubt I will, but early days yet in this process.

Many thanks,

Lee.

Hi Lee,
You may issues when it comes to finding a suitable venue.
There are probably a lot of halls and community centres that could do with the revenue that a well attended club would generate but,,, a woodturning club is seldom top of their preferred list.
Dust, mess and storage issues often stop things going forward especially if the hall is shared by other clubs.
I speak from experience as my own club has gone through this process on a couple of occasions during the last few years.
I do wish you the best of luck though and hope you get something going.
regards, beejay

George Foweraker":1zwljwra said:
Hi Rhalf.

Please read my comment again i said to create a club which is what Lee said he was looking to do you would need at least three members.
And as i said a club has to have a constitution.
If you do not have a proper constitution and membership you are just having a get together but if you try to open a bank account the bank will want to see your constitution.

Regards George

Perhaps a 'get together' isn't such a bad idea? What's wrong with a get together? I met my missus at a get together. OK, perhaps that's a bad example :).

Essentially I would be looking for a group of like minded people in the Lothian area who, like me, occasionally need advice or support with their hobby. Maybe they don't need regular meetings, competitions, subscriptions, bank accounts, premises or club affiliation to AWGB, just a support group where they could phone or pile round to another turners local workshop on occasion to talk over turning problems, give and seek advice. The rest could come later depending on what the get-together wanted.

In other words a local group for local people :).

In my experience (and I've been chair, secretary, treasurer etc. of numerous clubs to do with sport and other pastimes) folk often get too bogged down with the politics of their clubs or in financing premises and equipment and forget what they set the club up for in the first place! If we wanted a demo evening and get-together every now and then I bet I could get Strathbrock's workshop or one of the local community schools on an ad-hoc basis. It could be as simple as having a few local turners that can be contacted to share a car for a trip to Burnhouse or Ayr to watch their demos or buy kit.

So - great advice on constitution, premises, insurance and bank accounts but IMHO first priority is a get-together of potential members, then how the 'group' of Lothian turners will operate be it club, phone list, internet based or whatever.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

The idea of a get-together sounds simple - but when a piece of wood leaves the lathe and hits someone, the lack of insurance either via one of the guilds, or even personal 3rd party liability it won't be smiles all round.

By all means meet - but get some proper advice ( not off the internet/ forums) before you switch any equipment on !

loz":r9ppt7hv said:
Hi Ralph,

The idea of a get-together sounds simple - but when a piece of wood leaves the lathe and hits someone, the lack of insurance either via one of the guilds, or even personal 3rd party liability it won't be smiles all round.

By all means meet - but get some proper advice ( not off the internet/ forums) before you switch any equipment on !

Agree absolutely (I used to run a shooting club, we had both 3rd party AND personal accident insurance anywhere in the world whilst shooting - for the club or not) and should whatever (if ever) group get going and should said group ever have / be near equipment or an arranged demo then I'm sure the group will arrange it. Even if it's on an ad-hoc basis to cover events.

As yet the group doesn't exist so there isn't anyone to meet, get hit with wood or not to smile all round!

R

Sorry Ralph

about the egg sucking tuition offer there - - You sound like you've plenty of experience in running clubs ! - Its impossible to get a feel for peoples age/experience on this webthingy.

:)

loz":1950of2o said:
Sorry Ralph

about the egg sucking tuition offer there - - You sound like you've plenty of experience in running clubs ! - Its impossible to get a feel for peoples age/experience on this webthingy.

:)

Yes but you should see my woodturning!!

Someone described it as a 'designer firewood'. I definitely want a divorce :)

I didn't mean to sound off, It's all good stuff and well meant advice that's been suggested and I have looked at the AWGB and may join if I feel it has something to offer me but whereas I could shoot a small hazel nut off a rabbit's head at 100yds with open sights I'm really a complete novice regarding what's on here wood wise.

I ended up woodturning btw because ageing knees a bad back and middle aged spread meant I could kneel or go prone to take a shot but not get back up again! I sold some guns to buy the lathe gear and swapped one for the installation of a new steel bath.

Cheers!!

Ralph

Hi Rhalf.

It seems to me with all due respect that Lee had a very good idea which is being hijacked by Rhalf.
I think that Lee had a brilliant idea and it should be up to him how he progresses it.

Regards George

Hi George,

I think Ralph is just enthusiastic about the subject but so far he's the only other person in range who has shown any inclination for the idea.

I'm a lot more patient and am happy to wait to see if we can get enough people in and around the areas suggested to commit to the idea.

A simple meeting is a good place to start, even if it is just to get to know each other. We may not get on etc. and at least we'll find out before making too much of a committment.

TBH though, if it doesn't happen it won't bother me too much. I'm used to working on my own and I already feel that I belong to the UK Workshop Club! :lol:

Cheers for now,

Lee.

George Foweraker":3bpw8pg6 said:
Hi Rhalf.

It seems to me with all due respect that Lee had a very good idea which is being hijacked by Rhalf.
I think that Lee had a brilliant idea and it should be up to him how he progresses it.

Regards George

Goerge - it's Ralph

Lee No hijacking intended, enthusiasm squashed!

Cheers!

Hi Ralph.

No disrespect intended i have a mate with the way i spelt it.
I also never intended to squash your enthusiasm i just felt that the idea was being hijacked.
It is probably important for you and Lee to have a meeting and progress what is a good idea forward.
I think with your background and Lee's idea you will make a good team and i wish you all the best.
I think if you start off with the intention of starting a club you will do it but if you start off not too sure if you just want a get together there will be a lack of commitment and it will end up as nothing.

Regards George

Hi,

Perhaps I should step in here and clarify what it is I am looking for?

Firsty, the advice, comments, suggestions are all well appreciated. However, I'm really hoping for turners in and around my area to sort of sign up and show an interest in starting a club.

Like I said, Ralph is the only one who's done this so far, but unless we get others I will have to try an alternative route/possibilities. (as previously suggested).

I have contacted the AWGB to enquire about setting up a club but they have said to get an interested group together first, sort out a premises and then they can send out a club pack.

If it's ok with the Moderators, if this thread dies soon without the required number of replies would you mind if I bumped it to the top say once a week or so for a few weeks, just to try and give all possible parties a chance to read it?

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee.

When i started Our club at Burnham on sea about four months ago i contacted the local papers who were pleased to do a story about a new club.
We now have thirty six members.
Another thing i did was print hundreds of flyer's and put them under windscreen wipers,
Another thing if you ring Mark Baker at the woodturning mag i am sure he will give you a bit of exposure

Regards George

Hi George,

That's great advice but I'm not sure I have the time or skills for such a large undertaking.

I was hoping that we would be able to have a smaller, more manageable club. Say 3 or 4 commited people.

36 seems HUGE to me, but then again you've got a lot of experience under your belt.

I work fulltime, and have to manage the needs of my Wife, Kids and Mum too. So I was originally thinking of something smaller that may be easier to manage, at least initially.

Cheers,

Lee.

skeetoids":1rb62dyl said:
.....If it's ok with the Moderators, if this thread dies soon without the required number of replies would you mind if I bumped it to the top say once a week or so for a few weeks, just to try and give all possible parties a chance to read it?
Fine by me Lee, hope you get somewhere useful with it, always good to see new projects being considered, perhaps a free or low cost small add in the local papers might drum up some interest.

Lee.Try PM-ing all those on here that you know that are local to you in case they haven't seen this thread,or how about having a BASH,if you have the room.
This again though will only get interest from UKW members :?:
Have you looked over on the Woodwork institute forum.You might get some more interst from their.

Interesting that even in the Central Belt, there's not that many takers for a new club. There must be a lot more folk within reasonable travelling distance than there are up here round Aberdeen, and there are a couple of clubs here. (Though, for various reasons, I've not got involved with either)
Is it possible that interested folk already go to one of the established clubs (Strathclyde?). Might it be worth talking to them (or any other existing clubs) and seeing if they wanted to help set up an offshoot in a new area?

Hi,

Thanks for the support Chaz.

Appreciate the advice as always PJ.

Received a really nice e-mail from Dave Grainger, AWGB rep. for North of England and Scotland. Stated that the AWGB would be very keen to support a club in my region! Going to send out a branch pack etc. How helpful is that eh?

Think I may go down the small add route as I feel there may be a good response in my town. We are a pretty small village town with a lot of artists and creative people and I would also be interested in focusing on the young folk to encourage them into the fine craft.

Keep you all posted on progress.

Thanks for the support and interest.

Cheers,

Lee. :)

I've only just discovered this thread and would like to ask Lee why he has discounted the club at Broxburn which I recommended to him when he first started posting here.

Broxburn is only 15 minutes away from South Queensferry and has facilities that would be the envy of any woodworker up and down the length of the country. It is open everyday in the Community Centre in Broxburn and as far as I know most evenings. There are lathes, band saws, tables saws, sanders, 'you name it' and an active membership of over 70 - all for £10 a yr.

I really would suggest that you investigate this first before you set out to try and set up in competition - you would have to offer something very special to attract woodworkers in West Lothian and west Edinburgh.

Rob

Hi Oldwood,

I think I'll investigate the one in Broxburn further.

The website is very poor I found but perhaps I should go and pay a visit and make a proper judgement.

Cheers,

Lee.

Back