Edging plywood with plane shavings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

point5clue

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've not seen this before, but that doesn't mean I'm the first to ever do it. I am too stingy to buy edging. I have edged in thicker solid wood before for stuff the wife will look at or just smeared filler thickly then sanded back when its painted, but this was just a workshop project (iPad holder) so I wouldn't normally bother.

But then I had the idea to just take a fairly thick shaving with the plane and glue it on. It seems to have worked after a fashion. The second photo is after the blue tape has come off, but before flushing and a light sanding. A close up shows that there is some chatter in the shavings even after sanding (can't sand too hard for obvious reasons). You can still faintly see the lines of the darker ply in the middle, but less so than when the glue was wet. It looks better at a distance than the close up would lead you to believe.

If I sharpen my plane and get a smoother shaving it might be a good middle way for basically free.

IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1852.JPG

You can tell its a 'shop project' because I wasn't even close to my line!!!

Latest posts

Back