Edge trimming

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oryxdesign

Established Member
Reaction score
There has been some talk recently about this, I mainly trim 3mm edging this way but I can use the same attachment to trim thicker.

I made this to fit my Bosch GKF600 mini router from its tilting base. So here it is.
4370473398_18e97bb865.jpg

Held on by vacuum.
4369722459_60c5e96b3e.jpg

The vacuum port is efficient and has an added bonus that in use it holds the tool to the workpiece. It works well enough that you can actually let go of the tool and it wont fall off.

4370468230_217caf5281.jpg

You can see the adjustments here, the wing nut is the pivot point and the router moves up and down relative to the face of the workpiece. The other adjustment is made on the router itself.

4369728075_a9ee9c41b4.jpg

And this is the business end. Much better not using bearing guided router cutters as they get blocked with glue seize up and then burn the edging.

4369730415_d2dfb6fd6d.jpg

And this is a trimmed piece.[/list]

It's a simple tool to make and very easy to use. It's nearly impossible to damage the workpiece as the bit is so well guarded and this makes it safe too.

Simon

Very elegant, Simon!

Please would you post a larger version of your second-to-last photo?

Is the router held at exactly 90 degrees to the work, or a slight angle? (IIRC, the Festool trimmer is offset by 2 degrees or something)

Thanks for the great post,

Neil

4369728075_a9ee9c41b4_b.jpg

The important thing is that the cutter isn't with the extraction void. If you look carefully you will see that the base tilts for all the same reasons that the Festool one is. The festool one is a set tilt, 1.5 degrees I think.

Gotcha. Many thanks, Simon - I'll be nicking this idea if you don't mind :)

Cheers,
Neil

Carry on Neil, I think you'll be pleased. Mines only the Mark 2 but I'm sure it can still be improved upon. Show us a pic when you've done.

Simon

Nice one Simon!

Those little Bosch trim routers are superb. I have a couple bought for nuffink at bootfairs that I use set up in various jigs and things and they perform really well.

One I managed to find came with a very simple fence to do roughly what yours does but not with the same elegence so I think I will probably be making something like yours...again if you don't mind.

Cheers for posting!

Jim

They are a great little router, I have two as well with various bases. You can use one all day without your arms feeling like they will drop off. I just wish they had variable speed!

Jim carry on and copy away that's why I posted it. It's interesting that Neils comparison was against the festool, I just checked the price and they are over £400 so it's worth spending a bit of time on.

Simple, yet effective jigs are often better than purpose built kit...firstly you can customise them to suit the job you need to do exactly and secondly....they are cheap!

I am thinking of mounting one of my EOF50s in a little table...for those small jobs...

Yet ANOTHER project for the summer....

Jim

Festool sell a kit that fits on the OF1010 which looks good heres a post about it ... http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-t ... cessories/

Simon, regarding that pivot point on your jig does the router ever move or does it hold rock solid ? I would worry that its gonna slip in the middle of an expensive job.

Great jig though very simple adjustment and like you say those bearing guided bits always end up gooed up so better to do it this way.

See you there then Jimi.

Chippy, It hasn't moved in 150metres of edging so I guess its OK. I guess at some stage I will make a fine adjuster for that part as it is a little tricky on initial set up.

FWIW, the instructions for the small router table that Elu used to make shows it being used (without its legs!) exactly like that with a MOF96.
(Although I've now got a big Record CI-topped table, I actually find I still use the Elu nearly as often because it's so precise and easy)

Back