edge sanders (like the Hammer HS950) - what use is pivoting the belt back 90 degrees to flat with the platen?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

For edge belt sanders like the Hammer HS950; why does the belt pivot backwards to 180 degrees and level with the platen?

I cannot think of a use for this, but then again my imagination is often deficient!

Thanks

Ever try to take the wobble out of a chair? Easier to set the foot of the leg down on the belt with the other feet supported on an auxiliary table rather than present it sideways while holding the entire chair. Other uses will come to mind if you think about it. ;)

Pete

That is something I would have never thought of! I guess support of the workpiece is the key line of thinking!

Because it is safer for smaller items being sanded.
It is better to put the small object down on to the nasty spinning sandpaper than if applying a force sideways or forwards into the vertical belt.
If you are pressing sideways into the belt and the item grabs it will swiftly remove quite a lot of a thumbnail in very short order.

Somehow when its flat you are not having to "push" the item into the belt but merely hold it in place and guide it, if it grabs you can just let go.

Ollie

Sanding the main flat side of stock when you have edge bevels or shapes you don't want to disturb, corner shaping, shaping and flatening , absolute loads of techniques that you can do when working wood.
As been said, letting the stocks weight assist sanding is often safer as your hands are out of the way and you can control matters more effectively.

Back