Edge Jointing Workbench Top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've an old Trend routing jig for jointing end to end in dovetail format. I think it was supposed to be for joining floorboards and the like.
Had it years, bought it thinking thats a handy thing.
Yet to actually use it :LOL:

Edit: Just had a google and found it. Trend 'joinaboard'. for timber from 8mm,up to 53mm thick. For decorative paneling,skirting flooring etc.

Last edited:
I've an old Trend routing jig for jointing end to end in dovetail format. I think it was supposed to be for joining floorboards and the like.
Had it years, bought it thinking thats a handy thing.
Yet to actually use it :LOL:

Edit: Just had a google and found it. Trend 'joinaboard'. for timber from 8mm,up to 53mm thick. For decorative paneling,skirting flooring etc.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Don't over think it

I'd rip your timber into 50 x50mm section strips and glue together between 2 full length pieces of 50x50mm

PVA will do and plane smooth.

If your really clever leave holes for any tenons coming up from the legs.

This is all getting very complicated and looking like hard work.

All a bench needs to be is flat and solid. To get you going I would saw your sheet of ply down the middle and double it up to give you a 36mm thick top then use a sacrificial piece of 18mm MDF on top of that, will be plenty solid enough and save a lot of work.

This is all getting very complicated and looking like hard work.

All a bench needs to be is flat and solid. To get you going I would saw your sheet of ply down the middle and double it up to give you a 36mm thick top then use a sacrificial piece of 18mm MDF on top of that, will be plenty solid enough and save a lot of work.
Yeah it is. I'm just going to build the Paul Sellers bench I think. I'll store the wood I got for this job and use it for something else in the future.

Yeah it is. I'm just going to build the Paul Sellers bench I think. I'll store the wood I got for this job and use it for something else in the future.

I see you're in Yorkshire, I'm South East of York towards Selby. Give me a shout if you are in this area and need anything putting through the planer or saw, always happy to help out.

I see you're in Yorkshire, I'm South East of York towards Selby. Give me a shout if you are in this area and need anything putting through the planer or saw, always happy to help out.
Small world - I actually live in Fairburn if you've heard of it?

Just going to nip to a yard tomorrow and see if I can find some pine and follow his videos I think. Out of interest, do you have a preferred timber shop? I've been recommended Duffields in Ripon by a few people.

Thanks sincerely for the offer by the way - will definitely bear that in mind.

Small world - I actually live in Fairburn if you've heard of it?

Just going to nip to a yard tomorrow and see if I can find some pine and follow his videos I think. Out of interest, do you have a preferred timber shop? I've been recommended Duffields in Ripon by a few people.

Thanks sincerely for the offer by the way - will definitely bear that in mind.

I'm trade and use Arnold Laver at Hull for nearly everything, I just phone in an order and it gets delivered, they are out this way on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays so I never have to wait long and delivery is free as I spend plenty with them. I don't think they are always the cheapest but it keeps things simple and saves me hours of phoning around and touring timber yards.

Great shout - I’ll watch those this evening. Do you know if he has any specifically on joining a short board onto a long one like this?

Thanks again
Ooh, I dunno, possibly talking bout a few videos there.
At least two of them specifically regarding this topic, likely much more.
Those were old ones I've watched regarding precision planing techniques.
It really advanced my learning overnight, and haven't seen anyone do anything near as
good of a presentation since.

I'm trade and use Arnold Laver at Hull for nearly everything, I just phone in an order and it gets delivered, they are out this way on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays so I never have to wait long and delivery is free as I spend plenty with them. I don't think they are always the cheapest but it keeps things simple and saves me hours of phoning around and touring timber yards.
I went to Arnold Laver in Leeds today - absolutely fantastic service. Spent about an hour with a 30 odd year old guy in there showing him the cutting list for a sellers bench and he really went out of his way to make sure I got what I wanted, went through showing me what to knock back on the wood too (he knocked back well over 70% of one length because it was dog legged &/or twisted), and cut it down to fit in the car for me too.

Once I’m up and running I will endeavour to shop locally, as with other purchases I make, but very glad I went here. Thanks for sharing

Back