Edge jointing really, really thin stock...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Not sure if you get this show in the UK, but there's a show here in the states called "Wood Works" with David Marks. In it, he does quite a lot of lamination stuff. He resaws to about 3/32", then puts them through a drum sander, then joints them on this jointer with tables that rival any modern aircraft carrier landing deck. (I think it's a 24" (wide) table...!) The jointing is done so he can glue the edges together for a bookmatch pattern.

Anyway... I have no such devices. No drum sander, no (electric) jointer. Were I to try something like this, can anyone give me some advice on how I might go about jointing the edges of 3/32" stock? Even clamping together, I'm not even 1/4" wide.

I have both a woodie jointer and the reliable #8. Was wondering if those things would be too "much" for such thin stock. Is it just a matter of practice, thin shavings, and proper support for the stock?

Advice welcome.

Hi Mike,
Just put the edge you want to joint between two softwood boards, and clamp the sandwich onto your bench. Then take a plane and "shoot" it (with no shooting board). You just have to add a little extra something underneath (I stuck in a piece of birch ply in the picture) so the blade can engage fully into the sandwich. This works very well with no risk of the piece shattering or being swallowed by the electric jointer.
HTH,
Frank
Cnv0340-placage-shooting.jpg

Anyway... I have no such devices. No drum sander, no (electric) jointer.

Neither did Spanish guitar makers until recently. The backs of guitars are normally book matched.

You "pair" the workpieces, and use a shooting board.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back