Edge joining red western cedar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need to increase the width of some red western cedar from 250mm X 50mm par to 340mm x 50mm . The timber will be sitting on top of a low concrete wall for a sitting area.

Can this be done with screws & glue or am i likely to run into problems.
Such splitting through shrinkage & expansion.

Thanks In advance

Simon

Simon, have you got a biscuit jointer?, if you have, using a few biscuits and some waterproof glue such as Titebond or Gorilla Glue, would be your best bet.

If you don't have one, you can pick one up for £30 or £40 from outlets such as Screwfix.

Regards

Woody

edit: Heres one for £34.99 www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=17569

Hi Woody,
Thanks for the link.
I did have a freud biscuit jointer till the blade started to spin a million miles an hour scared the living daylights out of me. Never edge jointed timber destined for outside before. So wanted to know if the joint would be more prone to opening cause it is outside in the elements. Have decide to go for douglas fir now because of price constraints but still got to make the width up as i can only get that in a 200mm width.

Simon

I have succesfully done that with my decking and used the Screwfix Polyurithane glue, and that doesn't come appart ever again, and fully waterproof, just clamp for 20 min and away you go :p

If you use biscuts even better, but not needed, the glue is stronger than the wood :wink:

People use biscuts to line up and to increase the woodglue surface area.

You didn't indicate how thick your wood was, so I cannot tell you if you need to strengthen it with biscuts

McLuma

Woodythepecker":2x0b23wd said:
Simon, have you got a biscuit jointer?, if you have, using a few biscuits and some waterproof glue such as Titebond or Gorilla Glue, would be your best bet.

If you don't have one, you can pick one up for £30 or £40 from outlets such as Screwfix.

Regards

Woody

edit: Heres one for £34.99 www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=17569

Simon, Woody

Search the forum and see what people think of cheap biscuit jointers

or..

read the short version. Utter rubbish and a complete waste of money.

I do not agree with the oft seen opinion on this forum that an amateur playing in the garage needs Felder or Festool etc.. However, a cheap biscuit jointer will be money wasted.

I replaced my cheapish piece of junk with a Freud.

Simon
I have to agree with Tony on this the cheap biscuit jointers let themselves down with poor bearings and spindles causing over sized slots, and a poor fence locking mechanism leading to fiddly setups and inaccuracies, So if you buy one go for a reasonable one :wink:

Bean

Or as Mc rightly says; save yourself the trouble and expense 'cos they're not needed. Unless you want to justify one for other reasons of course, in which case disregard and don't show SWMBO this thread... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Tony":eiswnf7y said:
I replaced my cheapish piece of junk with a Freud.
Except that Simon has already had a Freud, and consigned it to the bin! :lol: :lol: :lol:

From my own experiences and posts on the forum, it seems that for any biscuit jointer below the £200-ish level that the pro makes come in, there is a much increased chance of getting a dud one - by the looks of it, Freud (and therefore Trend) have to be lumped into this category too. My Ferm is fine, lots of others have been rubbish. Tony's Freud is fine, Simon's (and Gidon's ?) are not. Its just the luck of the draw with all these makes.

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks for all the advice,
To be honest couldnt afford to replace biscuit jointer at the moment because my clutch has gone on my van £480 to get it fixed :cry:

So its going to be spax screws & glue.

Back