Edge join straight from plunge saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helvetica

Established Member
Reaction score
I was about to ask for a comparison between plunge saw blades, but my real question is, is it feasible to glue straight from a plunge saw?

I’m working with American cherry, 36mm thick, but the pieces are over 3m long and 220mm wide so I can’t control them over the planer thicknesser.

Out comes the #7 record plane, which is fine, but it’s all the faff having to micro-finesse the edge over the length. I will be doing at least ten of these edges to this level of finish.

My dream is that I replace the stock 48 tooth multi-purpose blade on my bosch GKT with something like a Freud Pro ripping blade. Will it get me closer to glue straight off the saw? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never done it myself but the way to do it is put a straight edge on the boards with your plunge saw, butt the boards together then run the saw (on the rail) down the joint leaving them a perfect match, that's the theory anyway.

There are details about it on Festool owners group if you search, I tried to post a link but couldn't get it to work.

It'll get you closer to a ready to glue edge but I suspect you won't get it right off the saw, You'd need quite a coarse blade to make a dent in cherry that thickness without burning up the material. It would be a pretty good and straight edge but it will still have saw marks which may show in the glue line so it may be worth giving it a couple of shavings along the whole length with No 07.

I ripped some 1 1/4" oak boards with a Festool 28 tooth blade and the finish was excellent. A touch with 120 grade sandpaper removed any small saw marks.

Latest posts

Back