Edge Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Have any of you folks got recommendations on which edge clamps to buy for worktop edging? I need them specifically for the thick abs edging, but will use them in the future for other bits as well.

I normally use Bessey' but as they're not going to be used that often I don't really wanna be paying £50 quid each. If consensus is that Bessey' are the clear favourite then I'll spring for them. But if there's a good alternative then please let me know.

Thanks in advance. _Dan

Hi Dan,
What adhesive are you using to glue the ABS edging that requires clamping? Is your adhesive not a contact adhesive?
I do the occasional job that involves this type of edging and the only time I've needed to clamp it is on sharpish internal or external radii.

I have a few of these and although they are not the best quality, they do the job when needed....and they're cheap enough.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3-way-g-clamp-60mm/7960v

You might consider Bandy Clamps. They're pretty good if not too much pressure is required, although it's quite surprising how much pressure really can be achieved. I've seen them for as little as about £15 each, but also up to roughly £26.

The image below came from ebay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Rockler-662680 ... 296&chn=ps and I think that's the cheapest I've seen them at £14.62 plus £2.50 postage. Slainte.

$_35.JPG

I agree that G or F clamps plus wedges work well and save money and storage space.

I used cheap edge clamps, IIRC from screwfix, to do the edging in 3 kitchens. The trick is to make a batten with shallow holes in it, then clamp this to the worktop with a bit of rubber anti-slip under it. Then you can clamp down like twittery, and the clamps won't slip when you engage the edge clamping tension.

I also came up with my own recipe for gluing the ţhick ABS edging, as I couldn't find any good info on the recommended adhesive. I apply titebond original to the cut worktop, then *quickly* apply plumbers solvent weld adhesive to the edging, before gluing and clamping up.

On my test pieces I had 100 percent material failure when forced off the edging - shreds of chipboard were torn out of the worktop rather than releasing the edging.

Sgian Dubh":2zi6e5fr said:
You might consider Bandy Clamps. They're pretty good if not too much pressure is required, although it's quite surprising how much pressure really can be achieved. I've seen them for as little as about £15 each, but also up to roughly £26.

DIY Bandy Clamps can easily be made with ordinary spring clamps and some bike inner tube over the heads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttn0GqifAQ

GrahamF":348pfu6z said:
DIY Bandy Clamps can easily be made with ordinary spring clamps and some bike inner tube over the heads.
Clever. I wonder how well they work compared to the manufacturer's version? Probably pretty well. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back