Edge Banding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowardM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m building a sink unit with 18mm Birch Ply, using the pocket screw method.
I was about to start assembly but have doubts whether to do the edge banding before or after panel assembly.
What is best.? I foresee problems with either method.

Thks
Howard

Hi Howard, sorry but I think you need to give us a little bit more information, maybe a sketch or a picture of where the edge banding is to go, personally I have never ever used it and doubt I ever will. Ian

All edgebanding has to be trimmed after glueing down and that's going to be easier before assembly. I prefer to use 4 mm strips of hardwood to match they will always look better than edgebanding IMO.

I use iron on maple with birch as it is a good match color wise and apply it after assembly .I often think with better planning I could do it before. You'll need a very sharp knife to trim it, I find a razor blade is best.

Thanks Folks, ,I was leaning to applying before assembly.
I couldn't see a way of trimming where the boards crossed, without dire , unsightly consequenses.

A couple of quid spent on a trimmer might be worth a thought:unsure:as said some more info/pics would help as there are pro's and con's for both:)

For what it's worth, my first experience of edge banding.

I did the individual panels before assembly , then I don;t end up hacking away at the corners, where panels meet.

The Domestic Iron is rubbish, you can't feel what is happening and the Old Dragon Lady disapproved immensely.

My method involves my Dewalt Heat Gun, and a rubber roller found in the decorating box.
When I apply heat, I can see the binding deform and the glue is soft, I apply the roller and keep rolling until it cools enough to set.
The best way is to tack the far end first and let it set, then leave that end.
Then I go down the full length slowly heating and rolling as I go.
This way, I can see where the glue has "taken" because under the lighting I can see a ridge where the glue hasn't been rolled yet.

I bought an Axminster Trimmer and was quite disappointed because it was so hit and miss to adjust the blades.
I got one blade correct, so I just did one side at a time but even then it was a bit jerky with no "feel".

It is far better to use a new stanley blade, holding at around 45deg, I can drag the blade down the edge binding taking a nice neat strip all in one go.
I found that if you hold the ground bevel of the stanley blade to the ply surface, there is no tendancy to dig in at all.

There you go, what I need now is a bi flat MFT Table as I can't seem to get repeatable accuracy with my Table Saw.
Then I can do the whole kitchen with custom size cupboards and drawers.

cheers
Howard

Back