Edge banding that looks like plywood . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I'm trying to source edge banding to use on a large shelf unit that's going to be made from MDF - BUT needs to look like plywood on the edges (don't ask, it's not my idea!) - I've hunted around but can't find a supplier (Amazon lists a product but it's "currently unavailable"

I did consider cutting plywood to about 4 or 5mm strips on the bandsaw but that's a bit tricky for the lengths I need (spans of 1.5 metres)

Anyone have any ideas please?

You could try stabilising the plywood edge by gluing on a strip of whatever you have to hand. Cut off the the 4/5mm of plywood and glue it the the MDF. Then remove the stabiliser.
Brian

I was about to offer the same as Chrispy.....I'm putting an order into my supplier early next week and could add it on for you.

Thanks (and to Chrispy) - I'll need about 5 lengths at about 1.5 metres BUT I haven't got the job yet, and that's unlikely before the end of April at best guess (it's a house reno and the chap is well short of decisive!) Out of interest where do you buy it?

You could try stabilising the plywood edge by gluing on a strip of whatever you have to hand. Cut off the the 4/5mm of plywood and glue it the the MDF. Then remove the stabiliser.
Brian

Thanks - I had considered something like that but it's the 1.5 metre length that is potenitally tricky for me.

Back