Edge banding that looks like plywood . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I'm trying to source edge banding to use on a large shelf unit that's going to be made from MDF - BUT needs to look like plywood on the edges (don't ask, it's not my idea!) - I've hunted around but can't find a supplier (Amazon lists a product but it's "currently unavailable"

I did consider cutting plywood to about 4 or 5mm strips on the bandsaw but that's a bit tricky for the lengths I need (spans of 1.5 metres)

Anyone have any ideas please?

Yojevol

Clocking on
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
You could try stabilising the plywood edge by gluing on a strip of whatever you have to hand. Cut off the the 4/5mm of plywood and glue it the the MDF. Then remove the stabiliser.
Brian

robgul

Reaction score
I was about to offer the same as Chrispy.....I'm putting an order into my supplier early next week and could add it on for you.

Thanks (and to Chrispy) - I'll need about 5 lengths at about 1.5 metres BUT I haven't got the job yet, and that's unlikely before the end of April at best guess (it's a house reno and the chap is well short of decisive!) Out of interest where do you buy it?

robgul

Reaction score
You could try stabilising the plywood edge by gluing on a strip of whatever you have to hand. Cut off the the 4/5mm of plywood and glue it the the MDF. Then remove the stabiliser.
Brian

Thanks - I had considered something like that but it's the 1.5 metre length that is potenitally tricky for me.