Eclipse 38 saw sharpener instructions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone might have the instructions for an Eclipse 38 tooth sharpener

I picked one up at a boot sale and wanted to try it out , I am sure I can work it out but the instructions would be interesting and helpful

Someone posted a similar request some years back but the posted pictures are over the photo bucket limit (as many are I find) eclipse-38-saw-sharpener-t44692.html

Any help appreciated

If you save the image and zoom in on it, it's readable.

Record_38_Saw_Sharpener.jpg

Thanks for that, I did try Instr but it opens a blank page

But no matter the previous post although a little hazy is readable so am fine with that

Appreciate the post, I noted the price, $47.50 , so mine at .25p wasn't such a bad buy then ;-)

I know its not likely to be terribly good, or they would still be selling it but like to experiment :)

Cheers

Bod":2sddcfwx said:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=32955&cat=1,43072,43086&ap=1

Handsaw Sharpener
02K08.01 Instruction sheet

Click on "Instr"
In my experience, okish on larger teeth, hopeless on smaller. Take time to get the depth of cut right.

Bod

I bought one for 'donations please' at a free bookshop. 50p I think, never got around to using it, let me know how you get on.

whatknot":3ehq0asx said:

But no matter the previous post although a little hazy is readable so am fine with that

Appreciate the post, I noted the price, $47.50 , so mine at .25p wasn't such a bad buy then ;-)

I know its not likely to be terribly good, or they would still be selling it but like to experiment :)

Cheers

Bod":3ehq0asx said:

Handsaw Sharpener

Click on "Instr"
In my experience, okish on larger teeth, hopeless on smaller. Take time to get the depth of cut right.

Bod

Just tried it, works for me. "Instr" is printed in blue.
It's just the same instructions, only in English only.

Bod

The Instr is blued and clickable, but opens a blank page

It could be my ad blocker of something but its okay anyway but thanks for passing that on, it may help others who can open it

Just tried it, works for me. "Instr" is printed in blue.
It's just the same instructions, only in English only.

Bod[/quote]

whatknot":3nm8slqp said:

Cheers

Bod":3nm8slqp said:

Handsaw Sharpener

Click on "Instr"

Bod

Hello,

You only paid a quarter of one penny! Do you have a stash of old farthings, or did you buy 4 for a penny? If so, can I have one? :?

Mike.

No Sir ;-)

Not .25 of a pence, .25p (five bob)

Still rather cheap I have to say :)

In the same session (car boot)

1 x small engineers clamp
1 x small engineers square
1 x triangular hand file
1 x Eclipse 38
1 x vintage nail pullers
1 x 7" draper square
1 x vintage hammer (rather like a cobbers)
1 x pair vintage tin snips
1 x pair modern pattern tin snips
1 x Eclipse fine saw set
1 x draper clone of same

Not bad for £3 I would say ;-)

Hello,

You only paid a quarter of one penny! Do you have a stash of old farthings, or did you buy 4 for a penny? If so, can I have one? :?

Mike.[/quote]

The role of the Eclipse sharpener is to control fleam angle, which is by far the easiest of the 3 angles to control.

(rake, fleam, slope, as per http://www.blackburntools.com/articles/ ... index.html)

And it's physically intrusive, making placement and "tweaking" of the stroke to control teeth spacing difficult. AND it needs special files.

I don't like it, as you may have surmised.

BugBear

Back