ECE Try Square Accuracy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've only got round to putting an ECE 350mm Try Square which I bought 8 months ago into proper service and now realise it is out of square approx 0.5mm across it's length. They're listed as being accurate to +- 0.1 mm over the length of the blade.

Should I try and return it, if possible, or just file it down?

Thanks

You can try as it should have at least 12 month sale of good act protection but the supplier could make out it is due to abuse after 8 months. Simple things like try squares really should be tested on arrival. Thinking about it the supplier might well defer to the manufacturer after 8 months.

Try and exchange it if you like it. If not, try and send it back. If the retailer won't take it back, fix it.

Kind of a list of steps, I guess.

Don't file it - you will never get it square. Are ECE not German made ? I'd return it for a refund. Generally I gave up on squares with a wooden handle years ago. I use the Nobex folding squares which are beautifully made and not a lot of money.

German made doesn't mean anything, nor does american or English when it comes to measuring tools. If they're relatively inexpensive, they're just a production item and not something like a machinist's tool.

It's hard to figure out what's square and what's not without having one true square (which can be checked off of someone else's true square so that any given person's "one true" square is just an inexpensive used engineer's square that checks out fine).

In the US, there's a gaggle of measuring tools stated to be made here - some are aluminum and large and "guaranteed" and some are starrett lookalikes at a relatively low cost with soft heads, soft parts and soft rules (they're sometimes square but other times really hard to work). A friend here bought a starrett certified square and a $100+ "guaranteed" 12 inch square made of aluminum to use for woodworking - the latter wasn't close to square and he didn't know it until he bought a certified square. The "guaranteed" square was out enough (some fraction of a mm) that it was causing him problems setting his jointer fence, etc. He just didn't know what the origin of the problem was and blamed the tools and not the square.

Check the guarantees on tools, too - they're often different than they appear. e.g., trend warrants a flatness amount per inch on their diamond hones. It's a pointless number because it can generate an entire diamond hone out of flat enough (but still in spec) to scuff the outside edges of an iron and make it convex in the face. Tons of straight edges and squares are also guaranteed by the inch, and almost as expensive here as something like a basic starrett version that's got a guarantee 10-20x tighter.

Forum advice on this stuff is bad. "nobody needs a square that square for woodworking". That's fine and good, but you'll eventually need a square that's actually square for tool setup, making tools or checking something.

Forum advice on this stuff is bad. "nobody needs a square that square for woodworking". That's fine and good, but you'll eventually need a square that's actually square for tool setup, making tools or checking something.
Whilst I don't need an engineers square for what I do (site work) I do still need a reasonably accurate square for even the stuff I do so I think I'd take exception to that comment that, "nobody needs a square that square for woodworking"

Same goes for levels and straight edges

Last edited:
Whilst I don't need an engineers square for what I do (site work) I do still need a reasonably accurate square for even the stuff I do so I think I'd rake exception to that comment that, "nobody needs a square that square for woodworking"

Same goes for levels and straight edges

I think that the reason for that saying is people think it means something is expensive or someone who has installed doorways their entire life thinks a toolmaker doesn't need them because they weren't needed on hovel restoration.

The reality is that knowing someone with a known "square" square usually results in getting a good quality used square (in the states, moore and wright is inexpensive, because people only know american and japanese brands here), checking and then that's that (just safe the "known" square square for checking others that can then be dropped without crying.

Most of the hardened head combination squares here of older make are better than new unhardened combination type and will last longer than anything new other than new hardened types. Something like lufkin is a favorite of mine - hardened bits means the rule and head work better and smoother.

A straight edge good enough can be planed or filed, but if one is going to make tools, an $80 straight edge of good spec is worth it.

Hello,

I've only got round to putting an ECE 350mm Try Square which I bought 8 months ago into proper service and now realise it is out of square approx 0.5mm across it's length. They're listed as being accurate to +- 0.1 mm over the length of the blade.

Should I try and return it, if possible, or just file it down?

Thanks

I would strongly suggest NOT filing it down as you would certainly invalidate any warranty that came with the purchase and it's unlikely that you would get it precise.
I don't often buy new squares these days but I regularly check my own squares that I do use regularly just to ensure that they have not been knocked or somehow damaged.
On the occasions I have bought squares, I have always checked them for accuracy as soon as I've brought them home or even checked them in the shop if there was an opportunity. Personally I've only once had to reject a new square I'd bought but it does happen.

If I was in your place I would first consult the retailer who sold you the square as that is your first port of call. They should have a returns policy for goods which have failed to meet expectation of accuracy.
They might refer you to the manufacturer but legally they are the seller so it's their problem and providing you can show that no damage has occurred to the item during the time you've had it in your possession and that it was a manufacturing fault, then they should help with a replacement.

You could also send an email to the manufacturer to see if they have a replacement policy in place for faulty manufacture.

Treat yourself to a (combination) square with a hardened steel rule and you'll never look back. You'll get many many years of use with scribers, marking knives and the like and you won't wear out the part that matters.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I have a starrett combination which is superb and a shinwa engineers square for checking, but wanted a large fixed square. I did give it a check when I got it, perhaps not as thorough as it should have been, and before I had the engineers square. It's been in a drawer and seen next to no use since, as I was working on stools and similar, not flat work. I'll have a look at the retailer / manufacturers policies. Thanks again.

Back