Ebony or Sapele?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A bit of a design dilemma. I am about to start making a John Hall's Frame for a cloakroom mirror. I'm making it out of ash possibly with ebony plugs or would sapele look better (I have some)? If ebony plugs would look better on ash I thought a pen blank or similar would be ideal. Does anyone know where I can buy a stick of good quality black ebony?

yes exotic hardwoods are great, they sell air dried black gaboon ebony, and a good price too.

A bit of a design dilemma. I am about to start making a John Hall's Frame for a cloakroom mirror. I'm making it out of ash possibly with ebony plugs or would sapele look better (I have some)? If ebony plugs would look better on ash I thought a pen blank or similar would be ideal. Does anyone know where I can buy a stick of good quality black ebony?

You might be in luck I think I have a Black piece about 13 to 14 inches long in the shed it has two half circles and a flat in the middle I can go and have a look.

Edit: it is 12 3/8" x 3/4" x 7/8" there is a small cut mark at one end, if it's any good to you let me know.

IMG_20220704_1554425~2.jpg

IMG_20220704_1555016~2.jpg

Last edited:
If you can find an old piano left outside, the keys will likely be good quality ebony.

Wondering if you could get some dyed timber either like what the veneer crowds sell, or even do it yourself?
Another option might be rocklite, ebano.

Tom

Woods like sapele, padauk and mahogany all start out out a nice reddish colour but tend to fade to muddy brown after a year. I would stick to ebony but beware it is very brittle and hard to handle. If the plugs are round then I would invest in a TCT tipped plug cutter to make them.

Bog Oak is a good alternative . The last small pieces I had were sold as knife scales.
If you are at all bothered about things like that, ( and some of my customers certainly have been) then 'Ash & Bog Oak ' has a better ring to it than 'Ash & Ebony' or ' Ash & Sapele'

Bog Oak is a good alternative . The last small pieces I had were sold as knife scales.
If you are at all bothered about things like that, ( and some of my customers certainly have been) then 'Ash & Bog Oak ' has a better ring to it than 'Ash & Ebony' or ' Ash & Sapele'
My wife (the commissioner) has decided she wants dark brown bog oak so does any one have an offcut/pen blank I could buy?

@Phill05 I sent a message saying I would like the ebony you kindly offered but I've been overruled and to be honest I also think dark brown bog oak will look the best with ash. Thanks anyway, it was most appreciated.

I've got a few Bog Oak off cuts Mike.....Some of it really Black and a few Browner pieces.
I'll see if I can find them and take a few pictures for you to choose which colour you prefer...👍
16569667881368021477389556309777.jpg
16569668575662455581896567161654.jpg
16569669185351408359631559153310.jpg

Last edited:
The long, thin sections are about 18mm square x 340mm long to give you an idea of size. (Pen blank type size...)
You can see how much the colour of Bog Oak can vary from the pictures, but all these pieces came from the same large section I had originally.

Fumed oak will go extremely dark and the longer it is left the deeper the colour penetrates. Ebonising like Phil said will go almost black but less penetration

The long, thin sections are about 18mm square x 340mm long to give you an idea of size. (Pen blank type size...)
You can see how much the colour of Bog Oak can vary from the pictures, but all these pieces came from the same large section I had originally.
the 2nd pen blank from the top on the last picture looks ideal. I'll pm you ky address and sort out how much I owe you. Many thanks

Back