Ebonies Lime wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kendle99

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a lime tree ( very old ) cut back near me . I know it's fantastic for carving ( like butter I'm told , although a hard wood ! ) as it hardly warps , but can it be ebonised ?

Seasonal Greetings to all and thanks for the help / replies , this year 😁👍🏼

I would think as long as you use sanding sealer before ebonising you should be fine , Are you going to use spray or disolved wire wool type ?

Blister, never have used sanding sealer prior to ebonising with wire wool and vinegar, in fact I’m absolutely positive the sanding sealer (the clues in the name) would prevent it getting to the wood and therefore it couldn’t work. But I am interested in the spray that you mention what’s in that please ? Ian

Blister, never have used sanding sealer prior to ebonising with wire wool and vinegar, in fact I’m absolutely positive the sanding sealer (the clues in the name) would prevent it getting to the wood and therefore it couldn’t work. But I am interested in the spray that you mention what’s in that please ? Ian

That's why I asked the question , Spray or viniger / wire wool

Lime takes colour well so you could ebonise with either black spirit dye, indian ink or ebonising lacquer. None of these need sanding sealer before application. I don't think the vinegar/wire wool solution will do much on lime but it may be worth experimenting with as many woods have some tannic acid in the sap.

About 20 years ago, I broke some old shellac record discs into little bits, and dissolved them in meths, as I had read in "Woodworker" magazine that they made a good eboniser. Still got the eboniser; still haven't got round to trying it on a bit of wood!

If you just want it black, fine, but of course ebony is a very dense, hard wood and lime's the opposite.

For european woods, holly, walnut, pear might come closer?

Back