Ebay WoodRats

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested there are a couple of 'Rats for sale on Ebay. One is finishing soon and is still at a good price.

cheers,
Aldel

I've been looking (salivating actually) at one of these for a couple of months. At half the price it's tempting but not knowing much about them apart from what I've seen on the various sites (not least yours) I'm a bit hesitant. How would I know it was all complete. Are parts easily replaceable? What are the crucial things I would need to look for :?

Fatcat":ozxdm5bi said:
How would I know it was all complete.
Download the WR5 manual and there's a diagram of all the parts. 'Course there may be some variation depending on age, but it'll give you the gist.

Fatcat":ozxdm5bi said:
Are parts easily replaceable?
Yep. You can see which spare parts are available in their on-line store. I imagine anything not listed you could still give 'em a call and they'd be able to help.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf

I'm going to give it some thought.

PS looked at your workshop - Very nice - do you think you've got enough chisels - I'm only envious or is it jealous? I have gone a funny shade of green

I'll probably be severely reprimanded for saying this, Fatcat, but I don't think Alf will ever have enough chisels, or planes, or spokeshaves, or, or, or............. :-$ But she does use all of them them all the time, you know. :wink:

Cheers,

0ff-topic :oops: Trev.

Fatcat":2kg899tm said:
do you think you've got enough chisels
You know, funny you should mention that, I often worry I don't have enough too. :-k :wink:

trevheadingforthebunker":2kg899tm said:
But she does use all of them them all the time, you know. :wink:
Not all the time. A person's got to sleep. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Sorry, Alf, I forgot about sleep-time (and parrot time). :oops:

Thanks to meeting Gill yesterday, I now have a bunker access facility. :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks Aldel,

I am now the proud owner of a Rat. Now, what to turn to chippings first .....

Aldel.

There is another one that has just gone onto ebay. Version 4.5, it is black instead of the alloy look that the others have. I take it that this is an older machine? Are there any draw backs with it that you know of compared to the later ones?

Still thinking about wall space, just where would it go if I won it? :-k

Dave,

The all black ones are indeed very early ones. Black anodising makes it more difficult to see any pencil lines on the channel. Better carriage crank handle in my opinion on the old model otherwise no problems that I am aware of. Parts are replaceable or updatedable. i.e alloy rails to replace the plastic ones and later style fences. You can download version 9.0 of the manual and the very latest version is available for purchase.

It does not have to be mounted on a wall. There are a number of innovative ideas for mounting including on its own movable cabinet.

Take into account the possible need for a new router plate and rails before bidding.

Cheers, Aldel :D

Alf

After posting my reply I read another thread about handplanes

Oh dear trust me why put one foot in it when you can jump in two footed.

Just to be clear there was no side to my remark just admiration of yours and other members skill and facilities that have obviously taken time and effort to achieve .

Anyway enough of the smashy & nicey I've got some bidding on a woodrat to do.

Back