Ebay time waster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim1950

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thinking is ebay worth it ? just had returned a Barlow -Whitney scotch glue pot 240v 400watts listed as used but in working order with pics, I'd not used the pot for some time so I tested it before placing the ad, had it on for a hour or so got the old glue out.
It sells £96.50 with postage within a short time I get a return saying "it blow all the electrics in the house as soon as its plugged in".

Returned today, plugged it into an RCD protected lead which was plugged into a RCD protected ring main had it working for 21/2 hours got it up to temp and adjusted it to 135/140 deg.,
which it maintained with no RCD or fuse blowing.
So after ebay making me pay return postage I'm thinking is it worth listing again?

Just a thought - it's possible what they are saying is true. If it leaks a few milliamps (which is quite possible for that type of device) it may have been enough to tip their RCD over the limit if they have other leaky stuff on their system. You could plug it in at home and it could work fine.

The ideal solution would be to measure the earth leakage and perform an IR test but that needs the right gear to do it. I know a lot of second hand electrical gear has to be PAT tested via conventional auction houses these days before they can sell. Might be worth getting it tested if you know a friendly spark.

Just a thought - it's possible what they are saying is true. If it leaks a few milliamps (which is quite possible for that type of device) it may have been enough to tip their RCD over the limit if they have other leaky stuff on their system. You could plug it in at home and it could work fine.

The ideal solution would be to measure the earth leakage and perform an IR test but that needs the right gear to do it. I know a lot of second hand electrical gear has to be PAT tested via conventional auction houses these days before they can sell. Might be worth getting it tested if you know a friendly spark.
Thanks for the reply, interesting about the RCD leakage, think it may end up back in store

or it could simply be that your buyer changed their mind. I'd relist it but IIRC you can block buyers so block this one.

How much were you looking for it Jim?
Hi Droogs, I've had two offers via ebay messages one at £55 and £70 both plus postage of £10.60, the £70 offer is from someone with no feedback rate so I'm a bit unsure on that one.

Not an unreasonable price, strange as to the guy sending it back. You could try putting it up here and see if there are any takers. I'm sure someone here would like to do some traditional stuff with animal glues.

Latest posts

Back