Ebay. Sharp practice or good selling practice? Stayset No.3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think an old plane with a couple of replacement parts should be thought of as a fake. It might not be possible to spot when this has happened anyway so I'm not sure how much importance it should be given anyway, no matter how much it might bother a collector.

A step past that, there are many planes out there made up of bits and pieces from various donor planes and I don't think those are fakes either depending on how they're described by the seller.

Where things get dodgy I think is with the totally mismatched planes, that's when you get into Frankenplane territory where sometimes they're even cobbled together using parts from more than one maker. But even those aren't fakes per se as long as no claims are being made about their originality (which it seems might have been the case with this plane I asked about recently).

In regards to definitions of fake old tools, it could be argued that a tool that has been maintained, upgraded and even modified during it's working life could be classed as more genuine than a New Old Stock 'barn find' to some degree. I know this is a bit of a stretch but bear with me.

These are working functional items after all and real world use can and will change aspects of that tool over time.

I don't mind that someone maybe replaced the iron or cap or had to replace a broken handle - it all adds to the history of it. I've got a fair collection of type 9's and 11's and these are generally the ones I go for. The fact that they have been used and little aspects changed over time is a positive in my opinion.

I probably have around 20 of these planes and with an approx age of 105 years old a piece (manf. 1902 - 1918, that totals over two thousand years of combined usage). It would be insane to expect no change of the interchangeable parts of those tools over that period.

Bm101":qbuz3ckn said:
Out of interest, ........

This thread is probably going down a well worn route thinking about it but you never know till you ask. While we're on the subject, if anyone's interested I have a weird looking plane for sale I found in a local church bazaar. It's probably a duffer, and seems to have been stamped with the name of the last owner. One Karl Holtey. He's done it pretty well tbf. It's not a Record or a Stanley so its probably rubbish. It has a big lump of wood as a handle. Sheesh. Some people don't have a clue eh? I'm after about £15.

You think you jest!
Many a good tool has been found, at jumble sales, and the like.

Bod

Monkey Mark":6fam56v1 said:
A little off topic but I know two people (separate un related people) who both used to get friends to knock up the bids on items they were selling if they weren't getting what they wanted or simply had them join in the bidding at the end to nudge it up a bit.

I also almost fell foul of someone trying to do the same. I got offered the second chance thing. After a little looking through the sale history it was obvious they had someone or a second account that they regularly used for the purpose of increasing the values.

Sly tactics.

For which eBay have a specific reporting option;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Sellers-biddi ... 738/g.html

It's illegal in meat space auctions too.

BugBear

Monkey Mark":2mgm3xsk said:
A little off topic but I know two people (separate un related people) who both used to get friends to knock up the bids on items they were selling if they weren't getting what they wanted or simply had them join in the bidding at the end to nudge it up a bit.

I also almost fell foul of someone trying to do the same. I got offered the second chance thing. After a little looking through the sale history it was obvious they had someone or a second account that they regularly used for the purpose of increasing the values.

Sly tactics.

The same thing happened to me. The item was offered to me due to "time wasters" but I declined as well. eBay should make it much harder to retract a bid.

Bod":1jbptr0e said:
Bm101":1jbptr0e said:
Out of interest, ........
You think you jest!
Many a good tool has been found, at jumble sales, and the like.
Bod

Found a couple myself Bod. :D No Karl Holteys though...

My Mrs is a big ebayer. She's now moaning that her watch list is full of 'rusty man-rubbish' lol. 8)
A year or two back she was after a particular pair of boots or a bag, something along those lines. Not much interest at first then another bidder pipes up and starts a little war. Back and forth the battle goes, she was really after the sale. As the price kept on rising and rising she realised it was her identical twin down in Devon trying to buy it for her as a Christmas present. One frantic phonecall later 'Stop B*%$£*Y Bidding!' and a good few quid down she won the poxy stuff. One happy seller.

I think the Triggers Broom analogy is spot on for working tools, I suppose when you start looking at collecting the expensive gear, to look at or make money from, like anything, you better know what you're about or you're gonna get skinned.

Edit: (bit of a ramble...)
I had to google 'The ship of Theseus' ED. The closest I ever got to the classics was when I went for a daytrip to Cambridge. I'm in the pub and this bunch of academic types next to me. One fella dropped all his change and went 'Ahhhh, Im scattering my riches like Croesus !' And they all had a jolly good laugh.
When I went out for a ciggy I googled that too. And it turns out he was a rich fella. Memory sparked, I just had another look at wiki.

In Greek and Persian cultures the name of Croesus became a synonym for a wealthy man. Croesus' wealth remained proverbial beyond classical antiquity: in English, expressions such as "rich as Croesus" or "richer than Croesus" are used to indicate great wealth to this day.

Maybe in Cambridge Pubs they are, in my local when someone drops a coin it hits them on the back of the head. When they stand up someone's swiped their pint. :shock:

Back