Ebay scroll saw (allegedly a Delta 40-530)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delta makes good saws but I'd be a bit wary of this one. The vendor (who doesn't have a good track record) claims he paid £130 for the saw brand new yet it's a single speed 40-530 model. A Delta 40-540 variable speed model would only cost £125.95. Added to which, the saw doesn't look as if it's only been used a handful of times as claimed. I'm also wondering why the vendor has wrapped the power cable around the top arm so that it falls over the blade assembly and the table - is he trying to hide something?

I'm suspicious that this might be a 'pig-in-a-poke'. I wouldn't like to risk much of my own money on this deal. (Not that I'm in the market, of course. :roll:) Which is a pity, because it could turn out to be a bargain and a nice way to introduce yourself to scrolling if it really is in tip top condition.

Gill

I agree with Gill. Delta do make some could machines, but that looks a bit dodgy. Is that rust i see on the table?

As for the Ferm, well you pays your money you takes your chance. Keep your money in your pocket until a decent scroll saw pops up.

Regards

Woody

I've got a Delta variable speed and it's a great little tool and at the cheaper end of the scroll saw market, it's probably the best there is. I've tried other makes and ended up getting rid of them.
That said, I wouldn't touch this one with a barge pole, it looks as if it's been kept outside to me. I also see that there's a reserve on it.
I could be wrong - not having had that much experience, but isn't the lowest reserve price you can enter on E-bay have to be £50?
I might offer a couple of quid for spares - but then again, I'm a frugal Yorkshireman.
Definition of a Yorkshireman; A Scotsman with all the generosity squeezed out of him :wink:

Hi Jack

Got any examples of what a Delta variable speed can do that you'd like to show us :) ?

Gill

Back