eBay returns help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
ok guys need some help here.

My Mum bought some cycling shorts off the dreaded evilbay! they cost about £16 including delivery she made sure they where the correct size and wore them for a short period (few hours) and i doubt it was a particularly strenuous just a quick warm up with wiggo! :lol:.

and the outcome is that the over-locked stitching has failed, the material hasn't torn and the thread is still intact but there is an inch gap in the material, the reason i belive is that the shorts have been poorly made.

these shorts where bought buy it now at the end of July. the seller asked that the shorts where not returned but the problem was photographed, which i did, have attached the three pictures that i sent. the sellers reply made out that she had no intention of refunding any money as the item had been worn.

my mother is a time served seam stress who has been teaching upholstery for the last 7 years so i feel she is qualified to comment on this matter.

can we get a refund, or is the seller allowed to sell c r a p products that don't last more than 3 hours?

IMAG0443.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

thanks

adidat

Get your mother to complain via eBay Customer support/resolution centre (on top bar of any eBay screen). If she paid with PayPal then try getting a refund through them "goods not as described".

Had a similar problem recently. Bought a load of Elm which turned out to be mainly Beech, so virtually useless to me.
Complained to the seller who couldn't care less and havn't heard anything from ebay :(

RogerP":2tp2is5l said:
Get your mother to complain via eBay Customer support/resolution centre (on top bar of any eBay screen). If she paid with PayPal then try getting a refund through them "goods not as described".

+1 Resolution Centre can work very well, I have had success in the past with a micro-cracked smart phone screen. The seller disputed it, but in the end we kept the phone and got a 50% discount.

Again, ditto for eBay. What you don't say is if these are new or used or if the seller was private or trade as this can have a bearing on liability etc.

monkeybiter":2wyl2z84 said:
+1 Resolution Centre can work very well

I'd certainly say it's worth a go, but they can be incredibly picky sometimes. I had an item which was clearly to the untrained eye counterfeit once delivered, and the seller was acting extremely dodgy with responses ranging from threats, "you obviously used it and don't need it anymore so no returns", implicit acceptance that it wasn't genuine and then finally deleting their account once their attempts to get me to drop the case had failed, and the resolution centre people still insisted that I had to find an "expert" and get them to assert on company headed letter paper that the item wasn't genuine before I got my money back.

(There were two particularly ironic parts to this story: the first being that they accepted an emailed scan of the headed letter paper and didn't call or email the company to check up on it, so that would have been much easier to forge than the item I received in the first place! The second was that unlike pretty much every genuine seller I've ever interacted with on eBay, this guy actually left me positive feedback before I'd given them any...)

JakeS":1h2v2vwt said:
monkeybiter":1h2v2vwt said:
......The second was that unlike pretty much every genuine seller I've ever interacted with on eBay, this guy actually left me positive feedback before I'd given them any...)
I sell quite lot on eBay and always leave feedback for the buyer as soon as I'm paid. Adds just a little "feel good" factor I think.

RogerP":1d7tv174 said:
I sell quite lot on eBay and always leave feedback for the buyer as soon as I'm paid. Adds just a little "feel good" factor I think.

Likewise, whenever I sell, and it's actually in eBay's guidelines - last time I checked they suggest that a buyer shouldn't leave feedback until after the seller has left feedback for them. But still, 99.9% of sellers seem to like to wait until after the buyer has gone first.

JakeS":29heqo4c said:
RogerP":29heqo4c said:

Likewise, whenever I sell, and it's actually in eBay's guidelines - last time I checked they suggest that a buyer shouldn't leave feedback until after the seller has left feedback for them. But still, 99.9% of sellers seem to like to wait until after the buyer has gone first.
I think it harks back to when neutral or negative feedback could be left for buyers. Poor sellers waited for buyer's feedback and if they received a negative then they'd leave the buyer a negative in retaliation. Of course those days are thankfully over.

Hi,

Firstly register your concerns with your credit card company as you used Paypal. There is usually a time limit when making a claim on a credit card 60 days hopefully in your case. Speak to them and say you are being given the runaround and ask their advise on what to do. I did all of this and the credit card company got my refund after I provided evidence of e-mails where Paypal/Ebay were not taking it seriously. It was for a counterfeit Sony memory card. The seller asked me to return it at my expense. I refused and my credit card company backed me up, I sent it to Sony UK to verify it was a fake.
Bottom line is you have to follow all the processes but not necessarily what the seller or Paypal insist upon if it falls outsiide of your credit card companies rules.

Regards Alan

As RogerS says: Is the seller a business seller or a private seller. It makes a huge difference.

If he is a private seller then your options are limited to the eBay complaints procedure but if he is a business seller then you are covered under the Distance Selling Regulations as well as any action that eBay or PayPal may take.

regards

Brian

Woody Alan":2f1w8w4w said:
Firstly register your concerns with your credit card company as you used Paypal.
Regards Alan

If he used a credit card. Less protection with a debit card but you might get the bank interested.

Latest posts

Back