ebay/PayPal holding account. any Scams?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any scams which use the eBay/PayPal holding accounts to secure an item before viewing?

First time I have seen that.

Did a bit of googling and the info I found was that if the buyer/seller has had a history of problems with their paypal account then payments can be put on hold for 21 days. Other thing I found is if the seller/buyer is new to Ebay and certain criteria is met (not sure what) then Ebay request that Paypal put the payment on hold. There are things that can be done to get the funds released sooner than the 21 days. I would advise caution and to request that you only pay a small holding deposit.

what exactly is being asked? sounds like the PayPal "escrow" scam to me*?

is the item high value, price almost too good to be true, seller insists on some money up front "at no risk to you" etc? These are often fairly remote locations, so visiting isnt an option, for example I enquired about a landrover defender. It was worth say £5k but was on offer at under £4k. but the seller worked on an oil rig so had put it into a secure facility. he could deliver it to me on approval and only if I was happy would Paypal release the funds*. Even when I said my uncle was in Aberdeen and could visit the same day, there was an excuse why he couldn't visit. and another excuse why I couldn't phone.

*paypal has no such facility

There is a high value item I am interested in on eBay. (That's the first danger flag for me!) The item currently has a few bids, but I asked the seller if they had a target price, which they did and if I was interested I can pay for the item using the 'Pay After Delivery' facility, (second danger flag). It sounds as if it might be OK, but I assume every seller on eBay is a scammer. I am always ultra suspicious of any eBay Sellers, there are so many scams on there. I have asked for proof of ownership and all has gone quiet, (third danger flag). The owner is also away on business, so next week before I can view the item. (forth danger flag). The only way I will buy something of high value is when I see the item, see proof of ownership and I pay cash when I decide to take it away. It could all be legitimate, but my gut instinct tells me there is something not right. There is always a 'story' with a scammer.

is the item high value, price almost too good to be true, seller insists on some money up front "at no risk to you" etc? These are often fairly remote locations, so visiting isnt an option, for example I enquired about a landrover defender. It was worth say £5k but was on offer at under £4k. but the seller worked on an oil rig so had put it into a secure facility. he could deliver it to me on approval and only if I was happy would Paypal release the funds*. Even when I said my uncle was in Aberdeen and could visit the same day, there was an excuse why he couldn't visit. and another excuse why I couldn't phone.
it's high value, but realistic price. Sounds identical story to yours. PayPal have a 'pay after delivery' facility. how do you think the scam works if it is a scam?

I would think that you believe that PayPal are holding the money, but in reality it is a fraudulent site that looks like PayPal, so when you realise that the item doesn't exist you try to get money back only to realise it has gone.

My advice is to not pay anything until you are able to view and collect. Then, take the usual precautions. If you have to pay in advance, make sure it is genuine PayPal and not friends and family. In my (limited) experience though, deposits to hold an item are not so common now and I would be hesitant.

There is a high value item I am interested in on eBay. (That's the first danger flag for me!) The item currently has a few bids, but I asked the seller if they had a target price, which they did and if I was interested I can pay for the item using the 'Pay After Delivery' facility, (second danger flag). It sounds as if it might be OK, but I assume every seller on eBay is a scammer. I am always ultra suspicious of any eBay Sellers, there are so many scams on there. I have asked for proof of ownership and all has gone quiet, (third danger flag). The owner is also away on business, so next week before I can view the item. (forth danger flag). The only way I will buy something of high value is when I see the item, see proof of ownership and I pay cash when I decide to take it away. It could all be legitimate, but my gut instinct tells me there is something not right. There is always a 'story' with a scammer.

It sounds like the seller is trying to do a deal outside of Ebay, ie to avoid Ebay and Paypal fees.

you believe that PayPal are holding the money, but in reality it is a fraudulent site that looks like PayPal, so when you realise that the item doesn't exist you try to get money back only to realise it has gone.

That's the 'Escrow scam'. I read about that. but Pay after Delivery (PAD) is slightly different, however I have just realised that with PAD. PayPal automatically release the funds after 14 days, so scope there for the seller to try to delay viewing. I also just found PAD is not available for the item being sold. all sounding confused. Think it's a scam, but very interested in how it works.

Not what is being discussed here but when I began to sell a few unwanted items on ebay a couple of years ago, I had an issue where ebay + paypal wouldn't release funds to me until after the item was confirmed delivered (tracking entered on ebay and shown as delivered). My account was long established with hundreds of purchases over years. It only lasted for my first 10 sales and ignored a couple of things I'd sold years ago. Nor did it happen on every sale. I got as far as calling ebay to puppy about it and was told it was automatic but if it had continued, I'd have jacked the whole selling idea in.
I could see through my own paypal account that the money had been paid and ebay has requested the hold pending delivery confirmation so confident it wasn't a scam.
These were fairly small value items < £100

You are right to be cautious Ebay do not have a facility to buy something after your approval and Paypal don't have a facility for you to pay and only send funds after your approval.
If you really want it tell the seller that you will collect and pay at the same time if that becomes a problem just move on.

All good things come to an end, unfortunately I think this of Ebay. Started of as a good auction site until now I do not trust much about it as there are to many iffy people who claim the item is not as described or has not arrived and Ebay takes their side in nearly every case.

Unfortunately I get to see the aftermath of fraud as part of my job. Some frauds are highly sophisticated and it’s difficult to see how the victim could have avoided it. Most though have something about them that didn’t feel quite right to the victim but the perpetrator got around this and won them over by creating confusion with something seemingly legitimate and seemingly for the benefit of the victim.

I’d say this has a whiff of being a fraud and would drop it and let eBay Customer Services know so they can investigate the seller.

Someone will probably pop up and say eBay will do nothing. I actually think they will check it out as users getting scammed is bad for their business model.

Some great feedback here. Thanks. My gut feeling is to forget it. There has been no reply from the seller since asking for proof of ownership.

Ebay do not have a facility to buy something after your approval and Paypal don't have a facility for you to pay and only send funds after your approval.
They have a facility called Pay after Delivery. It doesn't seem to be available for everyone and not for the item I was interested in, even though the seller offered it, which also raised my suspicions.

It seems you basically have 10 days, they start removal on funds on the 10th day and take full payment on the 14th day.
If you have any problems you need to notify Paypal within the first 10 days.
From what I understand with this it is not something the seller can request of you as they will get their money from paypal right away.

https://www.paypal.com/ky/smarthelp/article/what-is-pay-after-delivery-faq918

Too good to be true, it very likely is, walk away.

For avoidance of doubt, any disappointment of missing out on something will be eclipsed many times by the emotions of being scammed, and multiply further if it involves serious numbers.

Again, walk away if in any doubt.

I have around 2000 feedback on 2 accounts as buyer and seller, i am not a shop. I have never been scammed, have had less than 5 problems and all resolved in my favour. Why does a story have to be a scam?

Back