ebay items

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't be too convinced by this seller - his selling line has been going for about 6 months now and the amount of wood has been considerably more than I would expect an average turner to have as a built-up stock over the years.

It's a bit like the guy who's "clearing out my workshop to make some more space" for the best part of a year now and has the best part of 100 turning blanks on Ebay now.

Cynical, moi - pas jamais.

Rob

OldWood":2xnvxkg0 said:
I wouldn't be too convinced by this seller - his selling line has been going for about 6 months now and the amount of wood has been considerably more than I would expect an average turner to have as a built-up stock over the years.

It's a bit like the guy who's "clearing out my workshop to make some more space" for the best part of a year now and has the best part of 100 turning blanks on Ebay now.

Cynical, moi - pas jamais.

Rob

is this the guy who has alledgely had a stroke and can't turn anymore ?

I must admit i'm a little cynical about it too - not least because if hes had a stroke and no longer has the strength to turn, how is he getting these bleddy great parcels of wood down the post office ???

hehe I wrote a similar answer earlier and then thought better of it. It is possible for him to have this much wood. Have you seen Blister's Lock Up?? :lol: But I do smell a rat with this seller, somehow. I've always found buying wood on ebay a false economy, the postage always pushes the price above being worthwhile. It's only worth it if you buy in bulk an use a courier.

wizer":2rmb0p6p said:
hehe I wrote a similar answer earlier and then thought better of it. It is possible for him to have this much wood. Have you seen Blister's Lock Up?? :lol: But I do smell a rat with this seller, somehow. I've always found buying wood on ebay a false economy, the postage always pushes the price above being worthwhile. It's only worth it if you buy in bulk an use a courier.

or pick it up yourself

i won a load of ABW from an ebay shop in newark , and fortuitously ive now got to go to yorkshire (to pick up a ten ft inflatable dinghy for work - another ebay purchase) so i'll be getting my fuel paid for and can just swing by newark on the way up or down the M1

I spoke to him and his wife and it seems that he's been turning for many years (possibly 24-32, some multiple of 8 anyway) and doing some teaching / demos. After the stroke all that ended but he's still able to do a little turning (I think he was keeping 1 lathe back). It seems that all the locals know where to take their interesting wood and that flow has not stopped.

The two bits that I bought from him are lovely and when I have a little more time / money / need for wood I may go down to visit him and buy some more.

Delivery was swift and the goods as described. Seems a nice chap really.

Miles

Ah - many thanks for that, Miles. Shows that first impressions are not always the correct ones.

Having said that however, the 'selling line' is a bit emotive and having used it for 6 months, I'm sure I'm not the only one with a cynical outlook !!

Rob

On the same theme, has anybody seen the guy on ebay selling Elm blanks like there's no tomorrow?
I've bought a few off him and they are really nice but he must have the biggest stockpile ever as he puts on 10-15 new lots each and every week.
again they are prrobably only worth it if you buy a lot of them as this brings the postage down.

Weasel Howlett":1knrfnzm said:
On the same theme, has anybody seen the guy on ebay selling Elm blanks like there's no tomorrow?
I've bought a few off him and they are really nice but he must have the biggest stockpile ever as he puts on 10-15 new lots each and every week.
again they are prrobably only worth it if you buy a lot of them as this brings the postage down.
Who's that then (assuming you don't mind divulging your source :) )?

Miles

miles_hot":373d350j said:
Weasel Howlett":373d350j said:
Who's that then (assuming you don't mind divulging your source :) )?

Miles

must not by more wood, must not buy more wood,must not buy more wood,must not buy more wood,must not bu.....

asuming weasel doesnt mind sharing his source, do you want to split a bulk purchase miles, to keep the post down ;)

I can resist anything , except temptation :lol:

Scottish Hardwoods/Paul Conroy - very good. I have bought wood from him and have been very satisfied. The last purchase was Lime for carving and it was cheaper to buy from Scotland than drive to get it at a supplier here.

Usual disclaimers, just a satisfied customer.

Brendan

Yep I bought my first box of blanks from Scottish Hardwoods and was a good service and the blanks where all good quality. Tho I think I killed the rest of my stock this year, keeping it in my heated garage. Every piece I seem to pickup has a big crack in it :(

What I find unusual/frustrating about blank suppliers is that they concentrate mostly on the smaller hobby turners. Whereas the smallest bowl I'd want to turn would be 10-12" and 2.5"+ thick. Very rare to find such a selection at those sizes.

that guy weasel linked to has some big ass elm blanks - 19" in dia

mind you its not suprising that most dont as there are far fewer people with lathes capable of swinging 18" plus than there are with 6" - and most of us with big lathes also have the capability to source and process our own wood

I missed that link but now I have looked I can recommend Michael also. He is very particular about quality and won't send out a blank he is not satisfied with. I have some of his discarded blanks that a friend gave me and they have tiny defects like a hair crack on an edge or a knot that has shrunk slightly but are still perfect because the areas affected will be cut away anyway but they aren't good enough for Michael's customers.

No connection etc.

Brendan

big soft moose":1zieb5ph said:
that guy weasel linked to has some big ass elm blanks - 19" in dia

Yeah i bought a few of them a while back. That was a very fun introduction into big turning. Roughing out the shape was a very hairy experience, like meditating, doing tai chi, and fighting a lion all at once. Nice results tho, i think. lol

Latest posts

Back